High fence

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
If owner provided material , what would be the cost per foot to construct an 8 ft game fence ? Is $10 a ft plus $50 an hour to well pipe corners together about the right price? The $10 per foot would include setting all post and stretching the wire.
I have been asked to bit a job and have no idea what fence contractors charge for such a job. I have heard of prices up to $15 a foot.

cowboy43":11vj7w7c said:
If owner provided material , what would be the cost per foot to construct an 8 ft game fence ? Is $10 a ft plus $50 an hour to well pipe corners together about the right price? The $10 per foot would include setting all post and stretching the wire.
I have been asked to bit a job and have no idea what fence contractors charge for such a job. I have heard of prices up to $15 a foot.
No idea about the area being fenced but most up here are in rocky ground, have creeks running through sometimes requiring huge water gaps etc. I really have no idea but would not be surprised if it was $30 or more a running foot plus gates...that includes labor.

I thought that was high , everybody you ask will give a different amount, I though maybe some one on this forum had built some high fence, I am now hearing 3 to 6 dollars a ft labor and material , 15000 to 25000 dollars a mile labor and material, or 50 To 200 an hour labor to install with owner furnishing material. So many different prices and ways to price.

I haven't built any 8' fence but I build miles of fence and you will go broke at $3 a foot on the labor. You have to know the terrain you are fencing well and the big thing is can you get machinery around it easily? When you add the height you add a lot of headache and need the right equipment. A wire reel on a skid loader will be worth it's weight in gold on this deal. Price it where you know you will make money and if you don't get it you probably won't be sorry. If they will do time and materials this is one of those times you might be better off to go that route. $10 a foot doesn't sound unrealistic to me.

I wouldn't touch the job at $25K/mile. Central Texas is probably hill country, Texas which is mostly rock. I guess you could buy a post driver and pound them in the ground. ;-)

lavacarancher":2md121e9 said:
I wouldn't touch the job at $25K/mile. Central Texas is probably hill country, Texas which is mostly rock. I guess you could buy a post driver and pound them in the ground. ;-)
Or a jack hammer....I wouldn't build some of he barb wire fences around here for whta some are charging. Nothing but rock and the fence goes right up and over a big limestone hill.

There was a fella in leaky by the name of haybe (sp) he was 10 to 15 k a mile in that area. Some of the fence he showed me was strait up a cliff 150 ft or so . I don't know how they did most of it . I do know he would knock the blade off the tee post and use a rock drill to drill a hole in the rock . Put the tee post in and pour sack Crete around it .

In central tx you should be around 7 to 9 dollars a foot turnkey. Materials and labor. Any fence builder in central tx worth his salt will have a rock drill and a post driver. Rock is no problem. Rough remote county will put you on high end of cost

fenceman":352mnlfe said:
In central tx you should be around 7 to 9 dollars a foot turnkey. Materials and labor. Any fence builder in central tx worth his salt will have a rock drill and a post driver. Rock is no problem. Rough remote county will put you on high end of cost
I Know you're a fenceman but you can hardly get a good 6 wire barb wire fence built around here for that.

Fenceman

What kind of rock drill do you use? Is it handheld or machine mounted? Also what type post driver have you had the best luck with?

Around here 4' tall field fence is about $4 a foot but would think 8' would be double plus a little. I know I wouldn't want to have to build it for $15k - $25k a mile. I would think the materials are that much.

TexasBred":39oqmdnc said:
fenceman":39oqmdnc said:
I Know you're a fenceman but you can hardly get a good 6 wire barb wire fence built around here for that.
You meant you can hardly get it there for that.(just kidding)seriously tb thats way to much.i know around austin and temple their are some large companies with commissioned salesmem, secretaries , and such chaerging those prices but that doesn't make it right. Large jobs of 6 wire with pipe braces tpost every 12 feet,pipe stiffener post every hundred should be around 3.00 per foot.

SmokinM":2zvkmbd3 said:
Fenceman

What kind of rock drill do you use? Is it handheld or machine mounted? Also what type post driver have you had the best luck with?

Around here 4' tall field fence is about $4 a foot but would think 8' would be double plus a little. I know I wouldn't want to have to build it for $15k - $25k a mile. I would think the materials are that much.
Have several of both all rock drills are hand held, favorite is a large cp brand (about 90 lbs). Have a shaver 3 point post driver. Works great but dont use it to much. Most of the time use a 90 lb. Pneumatic driver on a 185cfm diesel compressor. It takes a tall strong hand to get it off the post after u drive it. Been toying with building a small, crane type thing on tongue of compressor trailer with a electric winch to do that job, haven't really got into it though

Latest posts