Hiefers having a calf right now

Help Support CattleToday:

Is the water bag showing? How long has she been with things as they are now?

Yes the bag is showing about 4 inches sticking out, she has been showing signs of labor all day, but in hard labor about 30 mins

Keep an eye on the water bag. Watch for feet. If the water bag hasn't gotten a lot further out or broke in another 30-45 minutes let us know.
This is alwasy the hardest part, the waiting. You start to wonder if you should help, you shouldn't, or just hang around close and watch, you shouldn;t. Keep an eye on her from a distance so you're not intrusive. If I watch I sit a couple hundred yards away and watch with binocs.
Read this while you're waiting
http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/a ... g02007.htm

she just got up and walked across the pasture and the bag went back in , I guess shes just not quit ready yet, I will keep a close eye on her thanks,

slb714":kbr8p4kq said:
when does the 1 to 2 hour rule start?
the 1 to 2 hour rule usually starts when you see the feet.but it can very if she is just going forever seems like without the feet out.she could be lazy.an you end up having to put her in the chute.an see whats going on inside.

bigbull338":18dpgoup said:
slb714":18dpgoup said:
when does the 1 to 2 hour rule start?
the 1 to 2 hour rule usually starts when you see the feet.but it can very if she is just going forever seems like without the feet out.she could be lazy.an you end up having to put her in the chute.an see whats going on inside.

We usually go 1-2 hours from the time the water bag breaks. Unless it is really thick, things are probably going fine as long as it has not broken, some just take longer than others. Of course you have to use common sense here as well.....

Thanks for the site Dun. Very educational for a newb like myself.

Walt

my "1 to 2 hour" rule which i dont always use starts when water breaks or if i'm not there to see it whenever i get there if she in laboring.

Latest posts