Hi Everybody!

Help Support CattleToday:

Ann Bledsoe

Reaction score
Well I'm back after a long absence.
I see lots of familiar names and several new ones.

The move to Florida is not only accomplished, but we're pretty well settled in now. Our youngest son and his family moved down here too, they live 4 miles away.
We sold most of our livestock before we moved but we did move 2 Miniature Jersey cows and a Miniature Jersey bull (now THAT was an adventure!), then had to take the bull back to Nebraska to be collected.
Month after we got here one of the cows calved, calf's head was turned back, had to have the vet out. It was a hard pull, had use a calf jack, poor little heifer was born with a broken neck and died shortly after birth.
The other cow calved 3 weeks ago, a gorgeous healthy little bull calf that's already sold. (23" and 30 lbs at birth)
We're starting to increase numbers again. 2 Holstein/Jersey steers, an Angus steer, an Angus/Brown Swiss heifer -- got to have hungry mouths around to take the excess milk!

Hi Dun -- how are things going in your neck of the woods? The weather channel makes it look like you're literally cooking up there.

Ann B

hi, and glad you are back on the boards... sorry about your loss.

jt

It's good to have you back, Ann. You're a great resource for all of us that might need to know something about raising a calf. It's always my goal to never touch a baby calf, but it sure is good to know that we all have posters like you available if we need help.

Ann Bledsoe":39uhzc0j said:
Hi Dun -- how are things going in your neck of the woods? The weather channel makes it look like you're literally cooking up there.

Ann B

Temps of 107-109 with 50-70% humidity. Yup, we're cooking.

dun

Welcome back Ann.....and Annie!!

Dun, we've only had a couple days over 100 here, which is really unusual for us, as we've usually had a month or so straight of 100 degree daysby now. But what gets me, is that it's so dang hot early in the mornings. I left my house at 5 30 am this morning, and it was already 84 degrees. I dont ever recall it being that warm that early in the morning. Most days it just gradually creeps up to 100 or soby 4 or 5 pm, but now its close to 100 by noontime.

Ann, what on earth would possess you to move to Florida. I wish you had contacted me I could have given you the top 25 reasons not to... :lol:

flaboy":28f2tvgd said:
Ann, what on earth would possess you to move to Florida. I wish you had contacted me I could have given you the top 25 reasons not to... :lol:

Here are just a few of my reasons for coming to Florida --

no more stock tank heaters

no more thawing hoses in the bathtub

no more sledgehammers stored beside the water tanks to bust the ice that forms when the temps dip to -30' below and the heaters can't keep up

no more lugging bales of hay through waist deep snow drifts

no more frozen ears and tails

And best of all -- 30 minute drive to the ocean!

Ann B

Ann Bledsoe":2oq68bjl said:
flaboy":2oq68bjl said:

Here are just a few of my reasons for coming to Florida --

no more stock tank heaters

no more thawing hoses in the bathtub

no more sledgehammers stored beside the water tanks to bust the ice that forms when the temps dip to -30' below and the heaters can't keep up

no more lugging bales of hay through waist deep snow drifts

no more frozen ears and tails

And best of all -- 30 minute drive to the ocean!

Ann B

They will never learn.... :lol:

dun":2k288tmg said:
Ann Bledsoe":2k288tmg said:

Ann B

Temps of 107-109 with 50-70% humidity. Yup, we're cooking.

dun

Highest temperature that we've seen since we moved was 97'. This past week has been 92'-93' with high humidity, overnight lows are in the upper 70's.
Even my rabbits are enjoying the weather, and they're one of the most sensitive animals to heat and humidity.

Ann B

This whole year has been bizarre. 70's in February, freezing in May. The past week or two has been mid August. That's based on temp and humidity. No rainfall to speak of in this area, but others are whining about how bad they got flooded last week, and they're only 5 miles from us.
Ma Nature at her finest

dun

dun":t4z6gzue said:
This whole year has been bizarre. 70's in February, freezing in May. The past week or two has been mid August. That's based on temp and humidity. No rainfall to speak of in this area, but others are whining about how bad they got flooded last week, and they're only 5 miles from us.
Ma Nature at her finest

dun

You got that right Dun. It appeared we had a three day window so I cut some hay, busted my butt to get it in and it still hasn't rained in a week. Of course they keep telling us it's going to rain today. We had two storms coming our way so I had to beleive them. They both turned! This of course after record rains for the month of June. Well at least I have some unwashed hay in the barn.

Latest posts