Hhhmmm.... mini's?

Help Support CattleToday:

churchcreek

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm kind of new - been a while since I was active on the forum. I have lurked a lot I confess. :)
What is folks thoughts on miniature cattle? Here's my thoughts - we'd like to have our own beef again
given the skyrocketing prices. We used to keep up to 6 head, as the son showed in FFA and we enjoyed
having them. After the second year of drought, we gave up, we sold them and our chute.
I'm missing the 4 legged creatures. Are mini cattle good beef producers, just smaller? I'd like to start
with a couple of bred mini cows, and possible work up from there. Have about 4 acres in a small
pasture, and adjacent 15 so we have a little room.
Thinking mini's for a couple of reasons - freezer space, animal units per acre, and handling. I'm not as
young as I used to be, so thought they might be a little easier. Still have enough equipment I think we
could fix up the basics. Still have hot wire and pens. I'm not familiar with minis - are they worth it?

churchcreek":1grqc96n said:
thoughts on miniature cattle? - are they worth it?

IMO - NO. They are a fad and over priced, unless you have a burning desire for mini's...
I would suggest you consider a couple of British White cows, very gentle from what I've seen.
Or what about Murray Grey? maybe you could p.m. Backbone Ranch and see if he can hook you up.

I recently toured Chico State Beef Unit that had a herd of Lowlines on test. They were VERY pleased with the results. It appeared that the Lowlines had very good carcass data. They do everything on site, even their own slaughter, processing and beef sales. They have a website if you would like to email them with questions.

If you consider minis, I would encourage you to go Lowline or Mini Herfs and stay away from mixed up breeds.
Murray Gray, and British Whites, along with my favorite(Belted Galloway) can produce some very good quality beef on limited acreage.
These minis and niche breeds do not sell well through a sale barn.

Belties are not that cashy and an outstanding herd is located in OK. Bill and Katie Bliss own Blisful Acres. Bill passed on last winter and
I do not know what Katie is doing with the herd.

We love our Belties and can sell far more than we can raise here. I have a strong market for Belted cattle.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the comments - I do love the MG's. I admit I like color. We thought if we did go with
mini's, we might eventually do the mini herf cows with a lowline angus bull and see what kind of baldies
we would get with that. We'll be mulling it over. I don't want to sink the whole farm into a couple of cows,
and that's what happens with "new" things.
The belties are a good thought also. My husband likes them. I just want something easy to handle
that will make good beef and not be 15 or 1600 lbs. We were used to angus crosses and the occasional
shorthorn. Anything is easier than a couple of those SH. Except maybe a brahma.... ;-) jk
We are out of steaks from the last steer we put up - I priced prime rib-eye the other day - 17.99!
I

Lowline cattle are mighty popular and they are acceptable in commercial operations. Few folks have used lowline bulls on their heifers for a first calf. These crosses bring more money than longhorn x Angus calves at sale barn. I would focus on lowline cattle, they are more marketable than other mini breeds and they're easy to sell than British white cattle that's for sure.

Stay away from fads.

Go with the proven. If you have to sell out again, what do you want to sell?

Good points all. We had Angus and Angus cross mostly before. The mg's are interesting, do are the belties- hubby would like them. Decisions! I knew when we sold or last two cows I would regret it someday.

Murray Greys will consistently finish choice on grass. They can range in color from silver-grey to black. We prefer the silver color in our summer heat, but we do have a few darker ones. I have attached photos of a purebred Murray Grey and a 50% Murray Grey x Angus cow. Our cattle average a frame score 4. They are extremely easy fleshing. We had one steer gain 4.08 lbs per day for 50 days on grass alone.

Purebred Murray Grey cow (pictured at age 10)
IMG_1952_zpsc69eebf6.jpg

50% MG and 50% Angus Cow
IMG_1734_zpsd86469c0.jpg

Murray Grey Bull (2 years)
Frame Score: 3
Weight: 1,505 lbs
IMG_0654_zps8b30a46f.jpg

As a breed, Murray Greys are extremely docile. We have no issues when we weigh and ear tag the calves at birth. The bull pictured above enjoys a good scratch behind the ears. They are not miniatures, but they are smaller in frame than many breeds and are extremely docile.

Thanks! I have some thinking to do now. Since they're just for us, perhaps I could do mg's AND belties? LOL

Just have to say, you folks on here are awesome, even the cranky ones. :) None of you know, but there was a
time when we were losing our parents and godparents right and left ( 5 folks in 22 months) and some days just
for a sanity break I'd lurk here. So many with the same values, it was always a homey feeling and I'd always
come away feeling like this too shall pass. Not to mention I have LEARNED SO MUCH. So much that I have a glimpse
of how much I don't know....anyway, I try to pay it forward when possible.

Latest posts