Hey Muddy

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth":lfnltphs said:
Sky, they weren't biting yesterday we only caught a couple of small ones like the small one in this picture but here is what's in there.

I was just messing with ya... I love to eat fish but fishing is not something I do well :oops: Those things would have made it to some aluminum foil butter garlic and old bay seasoning on the grill.

Dang! I'm still itchy to go fishing. Can't go on the ice anymore due to the warm weather we have and the lakes hasn't open up yet. But that's big bass you have.

skyhightree1":27qfq6az said:
Deepsouth":27qfq6az said:
Sky, they weren't biting yesterday we only caught a couple of small ones like the small one in this picture but here is what's in there.

I was just messing with ya... I love to eat fish but fishing is not something I do well :oops: Those things would have made it to some aluminum foil butter garlic and old bay seasoning on the grill.[/quot

It should be a crime to eat fish the size of those two. They aren't as good to eat and now those genetic gene pools are gone

I don't see any wrong to remove one or two big bass from a lake. Big bass tastes amazing when they're baked in a foil with butter and garlic seasoning. Dink bass is for frying. But it should be crime for keep every big bass you caught.

Deepsouth":14xin77d said:

Fess up DS--that's the tailgate of a little atv/rtv or lawnmower trailer ain't it... :p :p

I would say there are several thousand copies of those genetics swimming around. They do not get to that size without spawning a time or two!

greybeard":qtx0cu3j said:
Deepsouth":qtx0cu3j said:

Fess up DS--that's the tailgate of a little atv/rtv or lawnmower trailer ain't it... :p :p

Mind your own business greybeard. This is between me and muddy. :cowboy:

greybeard":363n8t8u said:
Deepsouth":363n8t8u said:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: Yep I think you might be on to something GB. Muddy I think you need to take a lil trip south the fishing is good down here.

It should be a crime to eat fish the size of those two. They aren't as good to eat and now those genetic gene pools are gone[/quote]

Typical sport mentally, of someone that knows nothing about fisheries management. I have very few if any bass that size in my pond. Because I manage my ponds for numbers not size. I do this by catch and RELEASE. I enjoy bass fishing. I can catch 20-30 most every day in a hour or two. I had a fisheries biologists out to do a fish count. He said I was severely overstocked with bass. I asked him what's wrong with that? He told me you can't produce TROPHY bass when your pond is overcrowded with bass. I like catching fish, not playing in the water. To me fishing stinks when their not biting and is a waste of time.

My fish are not a public resource, and I will do as I please with them. Those are some really nice bass Deepsouth. Do little old bass taste as good as little young bass? I can't tell a difference myself.

Sigh*........still itchy for open water fishing. I'm waiting for the sucker runs to start in few days....I'm going after the spiny suckers.

highgrit":33nuu55k said:
Muddy do you ever go smelt fishing?
Never netting them before but I did icefishing for them on a nearby lake that holds smelts. Still no word on smelts running up in creeks.

highgrit":2ap1j6kz said:
It should be a crime to eat fish the size of those two. They aren't as good to eat and now those genetic gene pools are gone

Typical sport mentally, of someone that knows nothing about fisheries management. I have very few if any bass that size in my pond. Because I manage my ponds for numbers not size. I do this by catch and RELEASE. I enjoy bass fishing. I can catch 20-30 most every day in a hour or two. I had a fisheries biologists out to do a fish count. He said I was severely overstocked with bass. I asked him what's wrong with that? He told me you can't produce TROPHY bass when your pond is overcrowded with bass. I like catching fish, not playing in the water. To me fishing stinks when their not biting and is a waste of time.

My fish are not a public resource, and I will do as I please with them. Those are some really nice bass Deepsouth. Do little old bass taste as good as little young bass? I can't tell a difference myself.[/quote]

Happy to hear that someone with a degree in fisheries management agrees with me. You can have both numbers and size, but you need to have a clue as to how you go about. One of the worst things to happen to me during the drought a few years ago was the loss of tank with Texas native bass. Those fish were super aggressive, much more than Florida hybrids that loose their aggression as they grow larger.

Its sorta like raising beef, if you don't keep a good food source in front of em they wont preform. Putting a knife on fish that have managed to grow that large, probably on limited forage is a genetic crime. If you had a cow that could replicate herself, and wean off 70 percent of her body weight would you send her to market?

Big bass lke big brown trout hav only one downside for me. They are almost totally carniverous. They do eat a lot of their offspring.

Latest posts