Herniated Disc

Help Support CattleToday:

Don;t remember which nuber it was but a friend had one in his lower back. He screwed around for years till the pain got so bad he could hardly move or do anything. Sold his milkers but kept the heifers (dairy), had surgery, 6 months later the heifers started freshening and he's been milking again for about 2 years.
Now he kicks himslef for having waited so long to have the surgery done.

Had this operation back in 70.(Disk removed) After 30 days of operation was back driving a truck over the road. All I can say is I should have it done sooner. Have done as much as anyone else done and never did bother me.Have heard a lot of people that wish they never had it done but i'm glad I did. Guess we're not all put together the same. But now at 64 old auther has set in,but not only my back, all bones that have been broken and bruised in the past.Makes ya wish you had taken better care of yourself. Always pushed this ol body to the limit and i'm now paying for it.

Cal

Yep, been diagnosed with a "degenerating" disc between L4 and L5. Pain shoots down legs and sometimes I can hardly walk. Yesterday I had to use a cane for about half a day until it finally let up a little.

Orthoquack here said about a 50-50 chance of fixing it where the downside 50% was leave the hosptal in a wheel chair never to walk again. I was given the name of a Dr. in San Antonio who is reported to have a good success rate with fixing the problem but I haven't contacted him yet.

Don't know what to do but I need to poop or get off the pot soon. I'll be retiring soon and won't be able to afford the surgery after that.

Earl Thigpen, It sounds like you and I saw the same doctor. I always take my cane, never know when the pain will come. The RA just makes it worse. Good luck.

I was diagnosed w/ 2 herniated discs in my lower back in '03. I had a MRI done and the doc wanted to do the surgery. I decided not to and just laid in bed for about a week, the 1st couple days I could not move. It has gotten better on it's own, and now I rarely have a problem. I feel it every once in a while when I move a certain way or lift something too heavy but I'm glad I didn't have the surgery. That may change later in life though.

Back surgery indirectly killed an old friend of mine. He got pneumonia in the hospital, then had a stroke. He survived a while, but not long. Died in his chair watching tv.
They'll take a knife to me when they harvest my organs.

Had lower back surgery to repair a disc and also had same surgery to my neck.

Don't know why I waited so long for either one.......................... :roll:

GMN":3rr8yupm said:
Has anyone ever been diagnosed with a herniated L5 Disc? If so what did you do?

GMN

Can't remember the number but I have one and it is no fun. Heating pad has became my best friend in the mornings. I need the surgery just keep putting it off. Funny thing is I can get out and work all day and it is ok bend over and pick up a nail and its on. Never know what is going to set it off.

We went in and talked to the doctor today about the results of the MRI.He has 2 spots that are herniated, the S1 andf L5. He said it could still heal on its own, that surgery should be the last option, to give it more time, and then maybe try the cortizone spinal shots, but they don't always work for all people and are fairly expensive. So, he has decided to wait, and take another method of cortizone pills for a week, and some stronger pain pills on the weekends. I sure hope time heals it up for him. The thought of surgery scares him, plus then there is downtime from work, and even with insurance it would be expensive with hte high deductible and all. Of course the goal should always be to get better, but I sure hope that can be done without surgery.

Thanks for all the replies.

Gail

I've had several epidurals over the years. They procedure use to be very painful. I believe the painful part could be less depending on the doctor. I would never go to a Orthopedic surgeon. Only a Neurologist. But that is just my preference. The epidurals cost between $1500. and up. Again I guess the charge is up to the doctor.Good luck.

Caustic Burno":t74ejqe6 said:
Can't remember the number but I have one and it is no fun. Heating pad has became my best friend in the mornings. I need the surgery just keep putting it off. Funny thing is I can get out and work all day and it is ok bend over and pick up a nail and its on. Never know what is going to set it off.

I don't know exactly why but heard that moist heat (hot showers and such) is better than dry, so.........

I think you and ol' Dun need to move to the same state and go in halves on a nice hot tub. :lol2: :lol2:

Hippie Rancher":3nno5tig said:
Caustic Burno":3nno5tig said:

I don't know exactly why but heard that moist heat (hot showers and such) is better than dry, so.........

I think you and ol' Dun need to move to the same state and go in halves on a nice hot tub. :lol2: :lol2:

Thank you for the unwanted mental image. :oops:

Hubby had a degenerated, herniated disc... L5/S1...

the neurologist "fused" it (removed the disk, and put metal coils in that the bones will grow around so he didn't lose flexibility -- this was 3 years ago), he was on his feet the next day taking laps around the floor so the nurses would tell the doctor to release him (he hated the bed and the food)... anyways, he was back to work after 3 weeks off, and off the pain medications fully after 4 weeks and back down to tylenol only...

...did the full run of cortizone stuff prior -- the thing about cortizone is it assists in drying out your joints faster so be very careful with how much of that stuff you do.

...doesn't know why he waited so long in risking permanent nerve damage.

VanC":3ksfri2c said:
Hippie Rancher":3ksfri2c said:
Caustic Burno":3ksfri2c said:

Thank you for the unwanted mental image. :oops:

Allright Dun remember who posted this first they are off the help list. ;-)

My Hubby had L4, L5 and L6 blown out. Neurologist tried cortisone but could tell in 48hrs that it wasn't going to work. Opted for surgery, Dr. completely removed disc's said there was enough scar tissue to act as cushion in there. Hubby back to work in 4 weeks, also doesn't know why he waited so long.

Earl, if you can arrange it, go to the Back Institute in Plano. I have a friend who has gone through 4 back surgeries there. Each surgery was for a different problem and she has had tremendous success. The Surgeon flies in from Arizona. I have read a lot of their literature and they are really up to date on all aspects of back problems.

Latest posts