herfords, limos and angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
ok just wanting some feed back or opinions . Ok if i were to breed a herford bull to angus cows would the results be like that of an angus bull and herford cows...or will they bring the traits of the herford bull with them...also wondering if anyone has bred a black limo bull to herfords? if so did the offspring turn out to be black baldy's

south kentucky cattleman":2hg3tndg said:
ok just wanting some feed back or opinions . Ok if i were to breed a herford bull to angus cows would the results be like that of an angus bull and herford cows...or will they bring the traits of the herford bull with them...also wondering if anyone has bred a black limo bull to herfords? if so did the offspring turn out to be black baldy's

Is the Limi bull homozygous black? If not, you'll probably get some red baldies. Otherwise, any of those breedings would get you black baldy calves.

south kentucky cattleman":3ibb8w43 said:

Angus bull on Hereford cows or Hereford bull on Angus cows will give you the same thing: good old traditional black baldies(assuming the Angus bull does not carry the red factor).

If the limo bull is homozygous black(no red factor gene) and is bred to Hereford cows, you should get black white faced calves. Some would call them black baldies but some consider them black baldies only if they came from Angus and Hereford.

Your best bet is buying Hereford cows as they are cheaper and a good Angus bull and make black motley faced calf's. They will ring the bell at the salebarn. You can't go wrong with a good Angus or Brangus bull on Hereford cows.
As far as Limm's go its a matter of taste I ran one for four years and never retained a heifer as the were all as crazy as a crap house rat. Sold good though.

Caustic Burno":1z7h58uy said:
Your best bet is buying Hereford cows as they are cheaper and a good Angus bull and make black motley faced calf's. They will ring the bell at the salebarn. You can't go wrong with a good Angus or Brangus bull on Hereford cows.
As far as Limm's go its a matter of taste I ran one for four years and never retained a heifer as the were all as crazy as a crap house rat. Sold good though.

What would be the disadvantage of having hereford mommas instead of Angus mommas with this cross. I have heard herefords have eye problems. We run black cows now with hereford bulls, but I would like to switch over because the hereford are less exp., and not to mention our cattle have ear, and that usually comes with a little attitude.

Horticattleman":1db1pe1k said:
Caustic Burno":1db1pe1k said:

What would be the disadvantage of having hereford mommas instead of Angus mommas with this cross. I have heard herefords have eye problems. We run black cows now with hereford bulls, but I would like to switch over because the hereford are less exp., and not to mention our cattle have ear, and that usually comes with a little attitude.
I believe CB was refering to the Herfs being cheaper.

Thats what I said, I know they are less expensive. But what are some of the disadvantages of using a herd of Hereford mommas with an Angus bull vs. Angus mommas and a Hereford bull?

Horticattleman":aoilcmb0 said:
Caustic Burno":aoilcmb0 said:

I don't believe there is a disadvantage to Hereford cows they have better dispostions than most other breeds and are good momma's. Every breed has issues and the Angus has plenty,rat tails, dispostion, where is my bull sydrome. The only way to fix these issues are culling. The true seedstock producer has improved the breeds tremendously over the last thirty years.
I like a red cow over a black cow you have no options with the black cow. I can follow the market with a red cow want black calfs use Angus or Brangus want a high yellow use a Char, want red use a Herf. All I had to change was the bull.

in my experience, most of the limo x herefords ive seen often have pattern faces. many i have seen are red/black with a white face and a kind of V shaped strip of colouring. but i have also seen some with the full white heads. if i had a pic of a steer i showed i would put it up. heres something i found. and most have dark pigment around the eyes, i guess that might not be so important to you americans though.

CowCalf2.jpg

Horticattleman":267wnan8 said:
Thats what I said, I know they are less expensive. But what are some of the disadvantages of using a herd of Hereford mommas with an Angus bull vs. Angus mommas and a Hereford bull?

I don't think there will be any difference in the calf whether you use Hereford mommas with an Angus bull or Angus mommas with a Hereford bull. I expect if you use good genetics of both breeds, you'll be satisfied with the calves.

But you might ask yourself why Herefords are cheaper.

Frankie":38i139q4 said:
Horticattleman":38i139q4 said:

I don't think there will be any difference in the calf whether you use Hereford mommas with an Angus bull or Angus mommas with a Hereford bull. I expect if you use good genetics of both breeds, you'll be satisfied with the calves.

Thats simple as there were many fools that followed the piper.

Frankie":19pvc938 said:
Horticattleman":19pvc938 said:

In other words, Hereford mommas are just as good as Angus mommas, and Hereford bulls are just as good as Angus bulls. Glad to see you're finally looking at things with more of an open mind.

Frankie":19pvc938 said:

But wait! Now you're implying that Herefords are cheaper because Angus is better. Or did I misread that? Please enlighten us.

Herefords are cheaper than angus for cows because more people want angus in their pasture. There are still too many of the rolling fat, non-milking herefords out there and that helps keep the breed a black eye. If you get the milky type hereford, you can raise monster, great selling calves out of a charlois bull or smaller, great selling calves out of a good angus. There are still way too many of the non-milking angus cows, but for some reason, people still overlook that, just to have a black cow.

south kentucky cattleman":y2302er3 said:
ok just wanting some feed back or opinions . Ok if i were to breed a herford bull to angus cows would the results be like that of an angus bull and herford cows...or will they bring the traits of the herford bull with them..

This is what they'd look like. We get about 1/3 red but that doesn't seem to hurt their price. This year a buyer heard I was going to sell the bull calves early and he bought a load straight off the field with no shrink or commission.

But, knowing what I know now, I agree with Caustic about using hereford mommas. This will definitely give you flexibility. Am now working toward this end on another operation. Either way, the bell will ring for you. Good luck.

duo.jpg

I think it would be better to use hereford cows over angus cows for two reasons with the cost not being one I think a hereford cow would raise a better calf than an angus any day and they have a way better disposition

Latest posts