Hereford Sire Summary

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
The 2005 Hereford Sire Summary is here. It has three sections: Proven Sires, Reference Sires, and Young Sires. There is an explanation of EPDs up front, and includes the statement that there is no TRUE across-breed EPD. Just their opinion?

I think it is the Hereford Association's position that there is no true across-breed epds because they did not participate inthe development of them. Nor do they endorse them. The same is true of the Shorthorn and Angus Associations. This dose not mean that the across-breed epds are invalid. They were developed by independent researchers for the use of commercial cattlemen. In my opinion, the AB EPDS are as valid as any breed association's epds.

ga. prime":3k2ww92q said:
I think it is the Hereford Association's position that there is no true across-breed epds because they did not participate inthe development of them. Nor do they endorse them. The same is true of the Shorthorn and Angus Associations. This dose not mean that the across-breed epds are invalid. They were developed by independent researchers for the use of commercial cattlemen. In my opinion, the AB EPDS are as valid as any other epds.
Fine. Go ahead and believe that..

OK la, I respect your belief and have no desire to change it. I'm not a spokesperson for any agency. Let's be friends here.

ga. prime":1x2b3bvf said:
OK la, I respect your belief and have no desire to change it. I'm not a spokesperson for any agency. Let's be friends here.
That sounds good on this ennd

I must correct myself. There is also a carcass section. I was somewhat disappointed in it however, as the threshold for being included in the carcass section was rather low, IMO. F243 was a great sire of good females, but I would hardly call him a carcass sire by looking at the numbers, which is what they use in the summaries. Nevertheless, instead of being in the proven section, he is in the carcass section.

Well Green Willow, that means that you need to start using carcass herdsires, if you want a good carcass calf. If I were you, I would start using bulls like Feltons Ozzie 492, DR World Class 517 10H, Feltons Magnum 434. These kind of bulls will increase your carcass traits. I am using Magnum myself, he produces great looking calves that are thick. That goes for World Class and Ozzie. That is my opinion. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":1n58fy19 said:
Well Green Willow, that means that you need to start using carcass herdsires, if you want a good carcass calf. If I were you, I would start using bulls like Feltons Ozzie 492, DR World Class 517 10H, Feltons Magnum 434. These kind of bulls will increase your carcass traits. I am using Magnum myself, he produces great looking calves that are thick. That goes for World Class and Ozzie. That is my opinion. :cboy:

If I remember correctly, the carcass numbers on my new herdsire are better than many of those listed in the carcass sire section. His sire has some very good carcass EPDs, and I noticed in casually scanning the carcass section that at least a couple of the sires there are in his pedigree. ;-) I'm not into AI right now.

Hill Creek Farm":2d5btfsp said:

No doubt those are good bulls, but I would also include MC Ranger and OXH Mark Domino 8020, two of the best carcass bulls, if I was going to AI. 8020 produces highly prized daughters, and has actually sired some daughters that were shown successfully. Pretty good all around value there.

Green Willow:

I looked up your bull, and AHA doesn't list REA, IMF% or Fat. Maybe they don't have they're website up to date.

Not trying to downgrade you or anything you are doing, just wanting to learn from others, but I noticed your bull is a little less than average in most categories except WW. My question is, what is it that intrigues you about this bull? Trust me, I know EPDs are not everything. A bull must prove his worth as far as producing good offspring. I know there are a lot of cattle out there that show less than desireable epd's in certain categories, but still produce good offspring.

That being said, I still believe EPDs can be a useful tool in selecting traits that a producer wants in his herd.

AAA runs the worst sire evaluation program in the industry. I've been talking to researchers at the universities. They said that AAA used bad adjustments to calculate their weights. They also said that all the ranchers trusted them only because they were the biggest and spent the most on advertising, but if they knew how screwed up the AAA program was, they would look pretty dumb.

mtnman

mtnman":1586rcac said:
AAA runs the worst sire evaluation program in the industry. I've been talking to researchers at the universities.
mtnman

Could you be a little more specific please? What research and which universities?

Latest posts