Hereford+Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

e bar s

Reaction score
Run mostly hereford cows and had considered getting a black angus bull to try for some baldies, when a deal came up on a red angus bull, one of those deals that is difficult to refuse.
Just curious what to expect as far as calves go.
These are all commercial cattle.
Thanks for your replys.

You can expect just as good of calves except they'll be red instead of black. In your area you may get a dock at the salebarn, but around here quality sells not color unless it's grey or a straight Hereford

Actually there will be less guesswork with the red bull. All of your calves will be red baldies. Now with a black bull there is a chance that you will get a few red baldies to go along with the overwhelming majority of black baldies. Technically speaking you should get all black baldies with the black bull but it just doesn't work that way.

badroute":1bdqbnq9 said:
Actually there will be less guesswork with the red bull. All of your calves will be red baldies. Now with a black bull there is a chance that you will get a few red baldies to go along with the overwhelming majority of black baldies. Technically speaking you should get all black baldies with the black bull but it just doesn't work that way.
Only if the black bull has red genes somewhere in the woodpile.

e bar s":2ieusawj said:
Run mostly hereford cows and had considered getting a black angus bull to try for some baldies, when a deal came up on a red angus bull, one of those deals that is difficult to refuse.
Just curious what to expect as far as calves go.
These are all commercial cattle.
Thanks for your replys.

Sounds kinda like my deal on a black angus bull. couldnt pass it up, so now he is going to be my cleanup bull for now.

e bar s-

I think that you will be very pleasantly surprised at the beefy calves you will get out of this cross! Red Angus have made remarkable progress in the last 10 years or so in their Phenotype, and in the other functional trait improvements to their breed. It is somewhat like Avis and their ads saying, "We are number two, and we try harder." If you follow Superior Auction sales on the internet, you can determine how much improvcement Red Angus cattle have made by just Phenotypic observations!

I don't think you will be sorry, IF you have good Genetics in both the Bull and your cows. THAT is the mandate in achieving good results in your progeny. You CAN'T have cattle that are TOO good!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts