Hereford Question

Help Support CattleToday:

REDBULL34

Reaction score
I am looking to buy some Reg. Hereford cattle and have a question. I am not interested in buying "show ring cattle". I want functional hard working cattle that will make it on grass and grow. I also don't want the short made long haired herefords that you see around either. the problem is, I don't know the breeders good enough yet to know where to go. Does anyone have suggestions on breeders that are raising these types of Herefords? Thanks in advance

djswin":1zlqyn4i said:
I'm starting a Registered Polled Hereford herd and I live in Chattanooga, TN with my farm in Chickamauga, GA. I've started cattle buying from a farm in Pikeville, TN. http://burnsfarms.com/wp-content/upload ... Farmer.pdf

Good people.

You ever get to Blairsville check out Hill-Vue farms. They have some good Hereford cattle that aren't fed up or babied.

True Grit Farms":195rziuv said:
djswin":195rziuv said:
I'm starting a Registered Polled Hereford herd and I live in Chattanooga, TN with my farm in Chickamauga, GA. I've started cattle buying from a farm in Pikeville, TN. http://burnsfarms.com/wp-content/upload ... Farmer.pdf

Good people.

You ever get to Blairsville check out Hill-Vue farms. They have some good Hereford cattle that aren't fed up or babied.

And check out Double B Farms in Tennile, GA. Forage based program only. Good quality cattle that know how to make it on forage.

I'd contact George Wooley in Stephenville, Texas. I would recommend his cattle as being superior to Huth Cattle in every way.

WichitaLineMan":3cna4c8t said:
I'd contact George Wooley in Stephenville, Texas. I would recommend his cattle as being superior to Huth Cattle in every way.

You are sure in a warm, generous mood today...

I currently have 21 calves from this bull and they are outstanding. I've retained almost every heifer from my previous Huth bulls with some excellent results. Even good luck keeping a couple bulls for my own use from Huth bulls and my best cows. I'd post some pics but it's just too difficult on this site.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...814E0EEE01C30F50E160A3B02E91414141C10111A1E17

SRBeef":2f77tqgn said:
WichitaLineMan":2f77tqgn said:

I currently have 21 calves from this bull and they are outstanding. I've retained almost every heifer from my previous Huth bulls with some excellent results. Even good luck keeping a couple bulls for my own use from Huth bulls and my best cows. I'd post some pics but it's just too difficult on this site.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...814E0EEE01C30F50E160A3B02E91414141C10111A1E17
. I agree with you. I have seen Huth cattle in person. They aren't the type of cattle I prefer as a commercial cattleman. Have only seen George's cattle in pics but would be proud to own one of his. They are the kind that will perform all the way to the rail. So many have never fed a head out and have no idea of the type needed to do it efficientely.

SRBeef":qrcuurhe said:
WichitaLineMan":qrcuurhe said:

Glad to see you back here posting SrBeef.

REDBULL34":105na2iu said:
Sorry. Northeast Texas
Langford's in OK are a very good source. There are many others that are raising what is needed by a commercial breeder. Copeland's in NE NM. Indian Mound Ranch in Canadian, TX are a few more.

WichitaLineMan":2ncjghjw said:
But wisconsin is a lot closer to michigan then texas i dont think i`ll be driving down to texas any time soon (if i did i would be asking for addresses to some of the people on here i would like to meet)

EZ, for WI Hereford breeders with commercial acceptance look into Boettcher's Brookview Acres and Fred Larson Herefords. There are lots of Hereford breeders in WI that breed for the show ring, but both of these programs compete in the pasture and the show ring. :2cents:

Boot Jack Bulls":102q1d4b said:
EZ, for WI Hereford breeders with commercial acceptance look into Boettcher's Brookview Acres and Fred Larson Herefords. There are lots of Hereford breeders in WI that breed for the show ring, but both of these programs compete in the pasture and the show ring. :2cents:
WI is close enough i might look into some breeders there but i`m in MI

TennesseeTuxedo":1wgofq94 said:

Thank you. However I starting to remember why I haven't posted here in a long time.

I feel this board and others are far more interesting and useful when we discuss ideas rather than people. I can understand when someone prefers a different type of cattle. There are many different applications for cattle and rarely does one size fit all.

Huth cattle are raised on grass in conditions very similar to my own conditions. I run a birth to plate operation, rotationally grazing, outwintering in the woods and usually finishing my steers by grazing standing, unharvested corn. I harvest most of my steers at 13-14 months of age and 1050-1100 lb. Probably not a typical operation. I do nothing at calving time in May except count the calves. No calving barn, pulling chains.

I have twice a year scheduled pm vet visits. I have almost no herd health issues. I need a calving ease (priority #1,2 &3) bull. You can't really tell a bulls calving ease by looking at him. The CED epd is very valuable and valid from what I've seen from Huth bulls over about 10 years. Marbling is also very important and not visible in the sale ring.

Huth cattle are run through a feed efficiency test at a 3rd party test station. Since mine never go to a feed yard that data is not as important to me as some other but it is available if someone wants it.

If folks want to discuss cattle and cattle ideas I'm happy to read and contribute what little I can. If folks would rather put down and talk about people I guess I'll crawl back into my hole. I do appreciate your kind word, Tennesse Tuxedo.

Jim

SRBeef":2z9hdrac said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2z9hdrac said:

Thank you. However I starting to remember why I haven't posted here in a long time.

I feel this board and others are far more interesting and useful when we discuss ideas rather than people. I can understand when someone prefers a different type of cattle. There are many different applications for cattle and rarely does one size fit all.

Huth cattle are raised on grass in conditions very similar to my own conditions. I run a birth to plate operation, rotationally grazing, outwintering in the woods and usually finishing my steers by grazing standing, unharvested corn. I harvest most of my steers at 13-14 months of age and 1050-1100 lb. Probably not a typical operation. I do nothing at calving time in May except count the calves. No calving barn, pulling chains.

I have twice a year scheduled pm vet visits. I have almost no herd health issues. I need a calving ease (priority #1,2 &3) bull. You can't really tell a bulls calving ease by looking at him. The CED epd is very valuable and valid from what I've seen from Huth bulls over about 10 years. Marbling is also very important and not visible in the sale ring.

Huth cattle are run through a feed efficiency test at a 3rd party test station. Since mine never go to a feed yard that data is not as important to me as some other but it is available if someone wants it.

If folks want to discuss cattle and cattle ideas I'm happy to read and contribute what little I can. If folks would rather put down and talk about people I guess I'll crawl back into my hole. I do appreciate your kind word, Tennesse Tuxedo.

Jim

SRBeef-

Your comments concerning the rhetoric on CattleToday are exactly my views! I have contributed to this Forum for almost 11 years, and for several years the questions and answers and discussions were intelligent, pertinent and had value that benefitted any breeder willing to focus on the facts of the discussion instead of questioning the integrity of the writer, the source of the facts at hand, and the viability of the information itself.

When the cell phone "business" with the ability to take pictures came into common usage and everyone wanted to be "stroked" for having acceptable "looking" cattle and lost the genetic knowledge of the cattle themselves, thereby overlooking the Multiple Trait selection importance in selecting breeding stock, the quality of the Posts dropped, and the intelligent information dispensation took a nose dive, I realized that I was wasting my time attempting to contribute to those who were not interested in learning how to their improve their cattle breeding status by increasing their knowledge of cattle breeding.

So - I have quit wasting my time. Life is too short, and inasmuch as my Oncologist has told me that I have only about a year to live at this juncture - it seems that my 90 years of beef knowledge is going to die with me rather than arguing with those who don't know and don't want to know.

:bang: :deadhorse: :wave: :wave:

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts