Hereford question

Help Support CattleToday:

WVcowpatty:)

Reaction score
Two years ago we purchased a registered hereford cow with a heifer calf at her side (at a Registered Hereford Sale). We absolutely love them both. They are the only 2 registered animals we have at the present time, but are leaning towards purchasing more herefords in the future.

Last year we crossed each of these with a registered angus bull. The cow hasn't had her calf yet - but should any day. The heifer had a heifer calf this past Sunday. Nice small calf (which is great for a first time heifer).

Now for my question. The calf is mottle faced - I think that's the term. Her entire face isn't white. The jaw is white and most of one side of her face. And a bit of connected white above her eye. Her belly is white.

From what I've read, I thought that no matter what your crossed a registered hereford with, you would ALWAYS end up with a white face??

I'd appreciate any comments regarding your experience with this.

The face color won't make a difference as to whether we keep this heifer or not... but I'd like to know from someone who's 'been there, done that".

Thanks for any replies, comments, etc.

that's not unusual. hereford crosses can have face patterns that vary from totally bald-faced, to eye circles, to freckled face, to mottled face, to almost no white at all.

congratulations on your hereford purchases and good luck.

Look something like this one? This is her second calf from a black Angus and could pass for a twin to the first one.
BigRedandcalf.jpg

Yes - she looks a LOT like that one.... and that one is gorgeous!!!

I was just totally shocked when the heifer popped out without a white face. I knew they could have rings around their eyes, and sometimes a 'teardrop" shape down from their eyes.

Just goes to show you that it's always better to check with someone with experience instead of reading too much. The book that stated the white faced 'fact' was Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle. It states that you will ALWAYS have a white faced calf because the Hereford genes have only white genes - nothing else - and therefore you would always end up with a white faced calf.

Thank you very much for the replies! I really enjoy this board and have learned a lot from all the input from the members.

I have a cow that had just about the same thing. It isn't unusal for a Hereford Angus cross to look like that. They can all have certain markings and sometimes it is rare that a Hereford Angus is red with a white face.
:cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":1gymhz9a said:
and sometimes it is rare that a Hereford Angus is red with a white face.
:cboy:

i assume you're talking about a black angus & not a red. still, not rare at all if the angus carries the red gene. in that case, half of its calves will be red baldies instead of black baldies.

Hill Creek Farm":85169ya7 said:
No, Txag, my bull had no Red Angus in his blood. He was a Wehrmann Bull and Wehrmann bulls don't have any type of red in there bloodlines. :cboy:

fellers is right. there doesn't have to be "red angus" blood for a registered angus to carry a red gene. your bull must carry a red gene because a homozygous black angus can only pass on a black gene and because black is dominant, it will not give you a red baldie. that little red gene could've easily been floating around in their bloodlines for years & wouldn't show up until bred to another animal with a red color gene.

it might be worthwhile for you to study up on homozygous/heterozygous, dominant/recessive traits. it's kind of important to understand now that horned & polled herefords are being crossed so often. that way when your customers ask if a bull will only throw polled calves you'll be able to give them an educated answer. :)

Latest posts