Hereford or Shorthorn?

Help Support CattleToday:

Which breed for a breeding and show/4h heifer?

• Hereford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shorthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Im getting either a Hereford or shorthorn to kieep British blood, and because to try and find other options besides my Angus, which I will not be selling. If they were the same price, your opinion, which one? Same quality too. She will be shown as a 4-H project aswell.

I like both, and shouldn't be hard to find good show animals in either breed. But just so no one can say I'm being wishy-washy, I'll go with Hereford. ;-)

I think shorthorns are a more of a show ring animal, and they are way more flashy than herefords. Go Shorty.

In Canada you have some of the original Shorthorn genetics not all fouled up with the maine, etc. crossbreeding.
In Canada I'ld go with SHorthorn, in the states I go with Hereford, but I'ld reallly prefer SHorthorns.

dun

Both Shorthorn and Hereford are great show animals. However after showing if you are planning to keep the heifer as a cow, I personally would choose Hereford.

Have a good day.

Auburn_AG

CHB needs help catching CAB... go Hereford :D :D

I like hereford and know very little about shorthorn... go Hereford.

Alan

I agree with some of the others.
Go with Shorthorn, as already mentioned you are up in an area where there are a lot more quality shorthorns. Plus shorthorns traditionally do pretty well in the show ring as well.

I say go with Herfs. Either will show just as well; but with the Herfs when you get old and get tired of the show circuit you can put your trophies and ribbons in the closet, let your cows grow their hair out, and declare that you are a "Real world cattleman who don't follow the show ring" and you will sound a lot more believable than a guy with a bunch of white and roan Shorthorns in the front pasture and right NOW Canadian Herefords are VERY VERY popular throughout the breed.

dun":1g4izzj1 said:
In Canada you have some of the original Shorthorn genetics not all fouled up with the maine, etc. crossbreeding.
In Canada I'ld go with SHorthorn, in the states I go with Hereford, but I'ld reallly prefer SHorthorns.

dun
I agree with Dun. IMO, the quality of Shorthorns in Canada is greater than that of those in the states. Since you're in Canada, I say Shorthorn.

Brandonm2

Shorties aren't just show stock... they are some of the hardiest animals around... well here anyways. lol

The poll and I diddnt agree-Im gettin a shorthorn heifer-no pampering, no special care sides different rations and thats bout it. lol.

Thanks for your time everyone!

I know the Southeast and Canada are just about two different planets; but around here the very few Shorthorns that we see are almost exclusively a showring product. I grabbed an Alabama Cattleman's Mag. off the shelf a moment ago and thumbed threw it and found not one Shorthorn in it. Over the years, people have tried (sometimes with success) to sell me Herefords, Anguses, Charolais, Red Angus, Beefmasters, Brangus, Simmentals, Brafords, Brahmans, Texas Longhorns, Pinzgauers, Senepols, Santa Gertrudis, Gelbviehs, Barzonas, South Polls, Limousins, Belted Galloways, Red Polls, Simbrahs, Balancers, Chi-Angus, Salers, etc etc; but I don't even know a Shorthorn breeder and have NEVER seen a Shorthorn bull with a herd of Alabama commercial cattle (I probably have and confused him with a Red Angus from the highway). That said, if I attend a major show or fair generally the Shorthorns ARE there, often in force and they all profile well and have a lot of nice hair. I know I have both a Southern bias and a pro-Hereford bias as well as being definitely afraid of what I have read about TH and Shorthorn cattle
http://www.showsteers.com/news/In%20The%20Genes.htm
(I also avoid 'Nick the Butler' Hereford cattle because of hypotrichosis). While acknowledging that I do not have ALL the facts, <<<my>>> advice would still be to purchase a Hereford (for almost ANY purpose) over a Shorthorn.

There are a handfull here... there are even two shorthorn sales in the same city each year. im sure there are a lot more... Shorts are big around here... just dont know a lot of the breeders. lol.

Brandon,
The only major Shorthorn breeder I was ever aware of was Jerome Staggs, I believe, in the Shoals area. He used to show his cattle about 10-15 years ago in some of the state shows.