Hereford, lbs per day goal

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
What is a good, reasonable goal (target) to hope for as far as rate of gain per day on a hereford steer? Grass only, no creep.

If I had an 80lb bull calf (BW) that weaned at 600lbs (205 days), the rate a gain would be 2.54 lbs per day (if I did my math right). Is it reasonable to hope for much better? If so how much better? no creep, moderate frame.

Thanks,
Alan

I don't know Oregon. But alot of grass seed comes from there. How does ryegrass grow there this time of year? Ryegrass will give a very good daily gain. If you need more forage to get you through the winter, try a cereal rye. I would normally mix a clover in as well. But the price of clover has about doubled this year. So you might look into a winter pea. With the cool season grasses a ADG of 2.5# plus is very possible.

Alan":gra74ab7 said:
What is a good, reasonable goal (target) to hope for as far as rate of gain per day on a hereford steer? Grass only, no creep.

If I had an 80lb bull calf (BW) that weaned at 600lbs (205 days), the rate a gain would be 2.54 lbs per day (if I did my math right). Is it reasonable to hope for much better? If so how much better? no creep, moderate frame.

Thanks,
Alan

That depends on too many things to give a hard and fast answer.

On my forage if an unimplanted steer without supplement continues to gain at 2.54lbs/day I wouldn't be too dissappointed. Would expect it to be closer to 2.8 if there is enough good grass with legumes. On alfalfa the gain will be quite a bit higher.

Typically a calf will have a slump shortly after weaning and really start gaining fast (compensatory gain) at 11-12 months

I think that the example you gave is a reasonable goal. The best daily gain I have done on calves was 3 pounds a day but they were not on moderate frame animals.

Highest documented gain (on forage) I have ever heard of was 4.54 lbs. per day for 112 days.

The stockers around here usually average 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. per day.

Loosing their teeth sometimes hinders them in an all forage situation. Winter grazing seems to be more tender than summer forages and it doesn't bother them as much.

MikeC":1lkul2vh said:
Highest documented gain (on forage) I have ever heard of was 4.54 lbs. per day for 112 days.

Loosing their teeth sometimes hinders them in an all forage situation. Winter grazing seems to be more tender than summer forages and it doesn't bother them as much.

at what age do your calves loose their teeth?

KNERSIE":38prxixb said:
MikeC":38prxixb said:

Couldn't give an average because I have not checked them all, but have noticed them anywhere between 12-14 to 22-24 months?

MikeC":22esvsrj said:
KNERSIE":22esvsrj said:
MikeC":22esvsrj said:

Couldn't give an average because I have not checked them all, but have noticed them anywhere between 12-14 to 22-24 months?

They usually start teething at around 18-19 months, by that time I want them finished or very close to being finished.

Have a look at this link:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/ofo/tsc/bse_information.htm

They usually start teething at around 18-19 months, by that time I want them finished or very close to being finished.

Yes, that would certainly be ideal. But some start loosing teeth a few months earlier and it seems to set them back some. Especially in dry tougher, late summer-early fall forages, and when forage is short.

Might be better to put those kind on some supplements.

Don't know a good goal, I always try to do better next year. Worked my heifers a few weeks ago and weighed each. They averaged 2.6 lb/day on grass and mineral. Got 50% of that hereford generics in there. I was pleased.

I live in a drier climate, but that seems like a good gain to me. If it was me, I'd try creep next year on a comparable animal and log the cost. Then see if the weight gain off sets the cost of the feed. Don't forget to figure in your time and labor. My guess is your gonna break even on the cost or worse. But that seems to be the only REAL barometer of whether it would be cost effective for you and your operation. 600# at weaning is great around here!

Latest posts