Hereford hurting

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
My year old Hereford is have a hard time walking. She is favoring her right rear leg. It has been extremely cold here in RI, I do not think she fell. Any suggestions. She should be having a calf in June. I don't think she can make it to the waterer. I just noticed her yesterday. I thought she was just standing still, my baby bull was toying with her, so I thought there was nothing wrong, but tonight I watched her for awhile and I noticed she cannot walk too good and is favoring her right rear leg.

Many times with rough frozen ground the hoof is injured between the toes. The frozen cow tracks cut the foot or bruses it very bad. Might get better when the ground unfreezes.
I have already had one bull to hurt his foot this winter. Got better a few days later when it got warmer.

If you are lucky its just a foot. Look closely at the hip above the one she is favoring. If its bulging more than the other one you may have a more serious problem. Possibly an injury from your bull's toying with her. If the hip is swollen or higher best to seperate her from the others for a little while and pamper her a bit.

Also have seen them get cripple pregnant from the calf pressing on a nerve, had one that would go to limping in the third trimester everytime till she started getting so bad as she got older. Culled her finally.

If she toe-touches check out her stifle. Cows can blow out ACLs just like football players. Swelling isn't always apparent immediately. All you can do with those is pen her, sit back for 6-8 months and hope. They can do surgery but poor prognosis and spendy.

lancemart":2w81a0dg said:
My year old Hereford is have a hard time walking. She is favoring her right rear leg. It has been extremely cold here in RI, I do not think she fell. Any suggestions. She should be having a calf in June. I don't think she can make it to the waterer. I just noticed her yesterday. I thought she was just standing still, my baby bull was toying with her, so I thought there was nothing wrong, but tonight I watched her for awhile and I noticed she cannot walk too good and is favoring her right rear leg.

Pen her alone in a small pen and provide water. Check her foot for cuts, heat, and treat accordingly. If she hasn't improved in a week, and you want to keep her it is probably time to consult a vet.

Latest posts