Hereford Calf Hair Loss

Help Support CattleToday:

CircleHTexas

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago, we had a Hereford cow give birth to a tiny Hereford bull calf. We bought the momma bred from a neighbor and she was mostly likely bred by her father so we were prepared for any formalities the calf might have. We went and checked one of our places out 2 days before July 4, and we noticed the littly guy had a rupture on his navel. We had this problem with a Hereford cow's calf last August, and we popped the rupture open, squeezed the pus out, shot some penicillen and some other meds and he was good as new - never would've thought he had a rupture. Well this inbred calf had the same problem...at least we thought. We got him down, popped the rupture, kept squeezing and out came a little of his intestines. Oh boy! Well, we sowed him up, and for a few days his bowels were clogged, then they opened but he had no strength in his back legs. So we gave him some Resflor Gold, Probios and some powdered electrolytes for a few days and wall-ah!, he was up and moving and doing excellent! Currently, he's fine, except his has lost a good chunk of his hair on his forehead, around the eyes, and near his navel. Anybody have a thought on why this happened?

My first thought on hair loss in spots is usaully ringworm or abrasions. The spot will look sort of grey scabby with ringworm. There is a photosensitivity problem that affects some cattle. Might google "photosensitivity in cattle" and see what you get.

dun":1alelzth said:
My first thought on hair loss in spots is usaully ringworm or abrasions. The spot will look sort of grey scabby with ringworm. There is a photosensitivity problem that affects some cattle. Might google "photosensitivity in cattle" and see what you get.

I googled it. He doesn't have any scabbing going on. I'm thinking it's a reaction to some of the medicine we gave him.

Latest posts