Hereford Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

cotton1

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making some F1 with a Hereford bull over my Charolais herd. I have been studying a few sales catalogs and have a couple questions for those who know what is what in the Hereford breed.

First, are there groups of bloodlines that the genetic defects effect or is it some particular breeding to avoid? I see some of the bulls are showing free or carrier in some catalogs.

I have been looking at Anodyne and Encore. Are these reputable in the breed? It is frustrating not knowing much about bloodlines and what to look for concerning possible defects.

I was also thinking back when there was a member here who used to post pictures of his herd( L1 maybe?)but I don't remember as I have not been very active in a good while. I want to say from Tenn or Kentucky. I remember I liked them a bunch.

Thanks in advance,

Cotton1

Back when I was in high school, early 70's, was when Charolais and Simmental first came to this part of Ga. And, it hadn't been too long since they had added commercial classes to the 4H and FFA shows at the fairs. My little brother got a Hereford x Charolais heifer, and his best friend got a Simmental x Charolais heifer to show. They each just looked like a yellow and white Hereford and a yellow and white Simmental. My grandad bought them both at the end of show season, and turned them out with his Angus. They were both maybe the 2 best momma cows Papa ever had. This fall, I dropped off a Brangus bull for a client at a place in Middle Ga. When I pulled up, I recognized it as the reg Charolais breeder's farm that I hadn't seen since 1975, when we went down there and picked up those 2 show heifers! The man's sons or grandsons, probably, now had commercial Charolais that they were breeding to some absolutely impressive registered Red Angus bulls. They keep the heifers, and breed them to a Brangus the 1st time, and black Simmental 2nd calf on. The steers from the RA x Char bring about as well as smokies do, and those black calves from the RA x Char cows will; top the sale every time they carry some. I just told this, @cotton1 , in case you might consider RA instead of Hereford, or in addition to. When I go back down there in April for an event, I am going to go by and take some pics of those awesome orange cows , and their humongous black babies. I am highly biassed toward Black Angus, Brangus, Chi-Angus etc, but I tell you, it has been a long time since I saw as nice a bunch of cows as those RA x Char. I would take a herd of them in a NY minute for brood cows. And using homozygous black bulls for the terminal c ross, them being orange wouldn't hurt a dang thing!

Like others have said you are probably referring to Mr VictorDomino on this board. I have seen some very good animals from their breeding program in other herds. I have also never heard anything but positive words in regards to their cattle either. I am pretty confident you would not have to be concerned with carriers or defect status with their cattle.
I would also recommend Beckley's Herefords here in KY also. They have a well established herd and though they utilize mainstream contemporary genetics, I'm sure that they don't use any known carrier animals, and could answer any questions you may have.
I am not very familiar with Hereford bloodlines but have used Hereford bulls on commercial cows. My first Hereford bull was purchased back when I was ending a run of registered Charolais. I had first used an Angus bull, and had decent calves but the ones from the Hereford bull were sharp .i will always regret not keeping some of those heifer calves. They were probably the best looking and doing calves I've ever had. I went back to Angus bulls afterwards though as that local Hereford breeder went out of business. In recent years I have went back to Hereford bulls, but no longer have any Charolais influence in my herd.

Thanks for the replies all. I know those red Angus work well with the Char as mentioned. My plan is to keep back the F1 girls and breed those to Akaushi for terminal. I might consider the RA on a few just out of curiosity.
My hopeful end game is high grade meat but I think I can get pretty good money back on the "Mello Yellow" girls ( for breeders)if I change my mind in a few years.

Thanks for the replies all. I know those red Angus work well with the Char as mentioned. My plan is to keep back the F1 girls and breed those to Akaushi for terminal. I might consider the RA on a few just out of curiosity.
My hopeful end game is high grade meat but I think I can get pretty good money back on the "Mello Yellow" girls ( for breeders)if I change my mind in a few years.
I remember years ago reading about a Charolais outfit maybe in Texas that got some good carcass test results by crossing with Wagyu. My only concern with using wagyu/Akoushi is you would need a way to market the calves and not rely on the stockyards

I remember years ago reading about a Charolais outfit maybe in Texas that got some good carcass test results by crossing with Wagyu. My only concern with using wagyu/Akoushi is you would need a way to market the calves and not rely on the stockyards
Probably M6 Ranch but I think they got out of Charolais all together. Yeah I'm hoping to direct market for sure. I'm not feeling too froggy about it with the straight Charolais as I suspected a lot of select grade meat.

I n
Probably M6 Ranch but I think they got out of Charolais all together. Yeah I'm hoping to direct market for sure. I'm not feeling too froggy about it with the straight Charolais as I suspected a lot of select grade meat.
I never fed out any Charolais or Charx, I would think though that crossing them with Angus or Hereford would give some more marbling potential and then how they are finished can make a big difference too. We have finished out some straight Herefords with good results as well as an Angus. I think it may take Charolais a little longer to truly finish even though the size and weight may be comparable earlier.

I n

I never fed out any Charolais or Charx, I would think though that crossing them with Angus or Hereford would give some more marbling potential and then how they are finished can make a big difference too. We have finished out some straight Herefords with good results as well as an Angus. I think it may take Charolais a little longer to truly finish even though the size and weight may be comparable earlier.
I'm thinking if I choose a bull wisely I could be able to maintain ribeye area and increase marbling a bit. I'm not sure about the finish time on the F1 but am thinking 18mo or so on the Akaushi.

I'm thinking about making some F1 with a Hereford bull over my Charolais herd. I have been studying a few sales catalogs and have a couple questions for those who know what is what in the Hereford breed.

First, are there groups of bloodlines that the genetic defects effect or is it some particular breeding to avoid? I see some of the bulls are showing free or carrier in some catalogs.

I have been looking at Anodyne and Encore. Are these reputable in the breed? It is frustrating not knowing much about bloodlines and what to look for concerning possible defects.

I was also thinking back when there was a member here who used to post pictures of his herd( L1 maybe?)but I don't remember as I have not been very active in a good while. I want to say from Tenn or Kentucky. I remember I liked them a bunch.

Thanks in advance,

Cotton1
Good reference if you want to know about defects: https://hereford.org/member-services/herd-management-tools/genetic-abn/ Herefords have 4 known while Angus have quite a few more so when researching bulls of any breed be sure to educate yourself on them first.

Anodyne has tested free of 4 defects and given his pedigree I'm sure he would test free of the 5th MD one too. He's a good carcass trait bull that has sired a lot of good cattle. Encore has tested free of 4 defects too and same thing he has no ancestors that tested positive for the MD defect either. Both are very proven bulls with high accuracy EPDs.

Good reference if you want to know about defects: https://hereford.org/member-services/herd-management-tools/genetic-abn/ Herefords have 4 known while Angus have quite a few more so when researching bulls of any breed be sure to educate yourself on them first.

Anodyne has tested free of 4 defects and given his pedigree I'm sure he would test free of the 5th MD one too. He's a good carcass trait bull that has sired a lot of good cattle. Encore has tested free of 4 defects too and same thing he has no ancestors that tested positive for the MD defect either. Both are very proven bulls with high accuracy EPDs.
Thanks for the link and info. Of the two I think I would like the Anodyne a bit better but am interested in both so thought sired by one and dam by the other might be a good pedigree.

Thanks to help from this post I made contact with @mrvictordomino last night and am now looking into his program. I have some degree of line breeding in my Char herd so his line bred Herefords should really give some great heterosis.

Latest posts