Hereford bull on Brangus cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
I bought a hereford bull and they had the EPD's posted, but when I got home to look at registration papers and went to Hereford's website, they did not have any posted. So, I have no idea where his BW, WW, and YW actually is. My question is can or should I put him on 3 - 5 year old cows? What about Heifers? I have two low BW Brangus bulls that I can use, but is it just keeping them separate. I am concerned about C sections and calving issues. Should I be concerned.

Bubba

ok im assuming your talking about a horned hereford bull.your cows should be fine bred to him,an calve without problems.but i dont know if id breed 1st calf heifers to him.

If you look at all the data placing an English influence bull on Brimmer influence cows reduces birthweight by 5%.
I ran a Hereford for years on Brangus girls, actually for the first time in my life as of November I don't own a Hereford bull. The calf's sell great and the heifers bring a premium for replacements. I bought a young Angus bull to put on what few remaining Herefords and Brangus I have left. See the nerosurgeon in a couple of weeks maybe he can get me back in the saddle in the next year or two.

If Birthweight is reduced, what will happen to Weaned weight? I bought him to try and in increase size of calves for sale.

stockbub":1kxtwszo said:
If Birthweight is reduced, what will happen to Weaned weight? I bought him to try and in increase size of calves for sale.

Increases 10 to 15 % due to the hybred vigor of Bos Taurus and Indcus mating,you are getting 3 way genetics here which maximizes hybred vigor, the only way to get more would be put a Continental over an English Brimmer cross cow yielding up to 20% increase in weaning weights. If you put the Brangus on the Hereford birthweight and weaning weight go up.

At the end of this article is an address for more crossbreeding info there is a series of pamplets.
http://animalscience.tamu.edu/images/pd ... csE189.pdf

Latest posts