Herd type opinions!

Help Support CattleToday:

watso059

Reaction score
Hey all!! This is my first post!!! :D I am new to the cattle business. My dad and I got in in April of last year and have had pretty good success and a lot of fun. :cboy: I live in north Alabama on Sand Mountain. Black is the color of choice in my area. I have about 7 keeper Brangus or Angus cross cattle, all with good frames and leg. By the end of the year we should have around 20 good cows. My dad and I were planning to have a brangus cross herd with either a registered limo or brangus bull. The other route i was thinking of going was getting Charlais cows and a Piedmontese bull. There is an extremely large ranch close by that has piedmontese. I know that black usually does better in my area, but if i could get some well-built and fast-growing calves from the char/Pied route i think we could do just as well. The only reason i am considering the pied/char route is because it would be very different than anything that is here. I enjoy cattle one way or another, so which would be the best do you think? Also, would the Charlais cows with Piedmontese bull be a cood cross?

piedmontesexcharolais is a terrible idea!!!!

cant go wrong with brangus cows. they will cross well with limousin, charolais, hereford, etc. brangus x brangus is a money maker as well.

Beefy":2jo4eijn said:
piedmontesexcharolais is a terrible idea!!!!

cant go wrong with brangus cows. they will cross well with limousin, charolais, hereford, etc. brangus x brangus is a money maker as well.

Why? Like i said, im new and the guy with the large ranch has a char/pied herd i think (which is where i got the idea...lol). Any problems with the cross?

Welcome aboard

My advice would be to use whatever sells well in your area. Talk to salebarn owners and order buyers for their opinions. Also make your own obsevations at sales.

In my area, angus/angusX and char/charX are the best sellers. Spots and whitetails are usually discounted.

You will get lots of good input on these boards.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Brock

this is just my opinion so yall do what you want. but to me, charolais and piedmontese are two very heavy muscled breeds and for the most part are both considered terminal breeds. mating the two, i think, would be overkill. the calves would be extremely muscular and lean, which is fine if that is what youre going for.

i would recommend a britishxeuropean mating or an american breed crossed with something that compliments it. for instance, since you already have brangus cows (an american breed) i would either breed them back to brangus and get much sought after calves of both sexes or breed them to an european bull such as a charolais or limousin. if you go with charolasi you will get extremely growthy, gray calves that tend to do well in most places. with limousin you could go red or black and get growthy well muscled calves as well.

however if you choose to get charolais cows i would recommend breeding them to a red angus, black angus, or hereford. same if you chose peidmontese cows.

Being different isnt necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. but you want to produce something you can sell. again, brangus cows are hard to beat.

Hope you and your dad continue to be successful. I'd research your idea a bit before going with it. If everyone in your area is sticking to a certain breed and/or colour there is usually a reason they are doing so. That's probably what sells the best and does the best on the land. Well, at least if your neighbours are successful if they are all going broke you might want to try to be different from them. ;-)

I live in about the same area your are. in fact sell most of my calves at kilpatrick.like beefy said that cross would produce a little more calf than most buyers care for.takes too much feed for there frame.the charlais bull on brangus cows is a good cross and they produce enough milk to support em .talk to those fellers at the sale barn they well tell you what cross is the best seller.

Latest posts