Hen's eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any feed that will really make the flavor of hen's eggs stand out...in a good flavorful way?
Thanks....Dave Mc

we always gave chicken feed from coop 2x day. those were some yummy eggs. until the neighbors dog ate all the chickens :mad:

Hey! It's me!!!! I have found that if I feed less corn then I get a better egg. I have bought scratch feed with a lot of corn content and gotten an egg that is more orange than yellow and isn't as good to eat. When I get a scratch grain with less corn, the yolk is nice and yellow and it is better tasting. Maybe that is because I just like yellow eggs, though!

Lammie":34ayjtwn said:
Hey! It's me!!!! I have found that if I feed less corn then I get a better egg. I have bought scratch feed with a lot of corn content and gotten an egg that is more orange than yellow and isn't as good to eat. When I get a scratch grain with less corn, the yolk is nice and yellow and it is better tasting. Maybe that is because I just like yellow eggs, though!
i know this what you feed controls the color of the egg.but i have no idea wich feed will make the eggs taste better.i always feed them layer feed.from my local coop.an the eggs always taste good.

A chicken allowed outside to forage for some feed results in a stronger flavored egg. Some people prefer that flavor, some don't.
If they must be confined, you can try supplementing the chickens diet with vegetable waste from your house, or even try to get produce trimmings and waste from your local grocery.

Proverbs 12:10":158zlsmt said:
I heard chickens out on the range that are mostly bug-fed have the best tasting eggs.

Mine are mostly penned. I can't ever find eggs from the rangies. I guess the taste thing is mostly in my head. I just like the looks of a yellow yolked egg. So do my customers. I have fed scraps in addition to my usual 20% layer pellets. Old bread, veggies, leftovers... They will eat anything but onions.

Our laying hens usually go out every afternoon (they seem to lay eggs in the morning). As mild and wet as it has been around here, there's plenty of scratching and digging going on, and they really enjoy themselves. That way they get the best of both worlds. They go back inside on their own just before dusk. The free-range banties are wherever they want to be all the time and I'd have to say their eggs, though small, are almost always perfect.

Glad to see you back, Lammie!

Our chickens get the run of about 2 acres. On top of whatever they get on their own we feed them corn, milo and if we have it wheat. I also give them laying pellets or scratch maybe once a week. The eggs are absolutely delicious. The yolks are mostly an orangey yellow. Sometimes the yolks are so dark they looks red. I have also gotten dark yellow yolks. All of the eggs are delicious.

Find out what the people that raise store bought eggs feed if you like those pale yellow eggs.
I like the orange ones from bug eating range hens myself.

Susie David":3a6p0cy4 said:
Does anyone know of any feed that will really make the flavor of hen's eggs stand out...in a good flavorful way?
Thanks....Dave Mc

Ticks....................

Lots and lots of big fat ticks........ :lol:

The best tasting eggs and the best tasting chicken comes from a free range chicken that runs around and eats everything, bugs, cow s*it, gravel and whatever they can find. We throw whole corn out to them and kitchen scraps and the eggs are as good as you can get. The yolks are dark yellow to orange. Pale yolks just mean poor caged layers that are deficient in sunlight and natural forages.

If you put a light in the hen house,the chickens eat all the bugs that come to the light..

Thanks folks....one other thing; has anyone noticed any difference in the flavor or quality of a unfertilized egg as compared to fertilized one? Haven't run hens since my mother passed on and its a learning experience all over.
Thanks....Dave Mc