Help!!!!:)

Help Support CattleToday:

mom2cowgirl

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently we had Res. Grand Steer at our state show. Customary urine samples were taken. Upon review, elevated levels of sulfamethazine(antibiotic) were found. Our show cattle were treated for coccidiosis the 2nd week in October. I keep very detailed records of all treatments, etc. They were given Sustain III boluses. The listed withdrawal is 12 days. The urine tests were taken the first week in Feb. which is way beyond the 12 days. How can I possible find out what could have caused this? I have already contacted the manufacturer of Sustain. I am not looking to place blame by no means, I am simply looking for possible causes of the elevated levels in the steers body. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The sooner the better. We are to meet with officials next week and I want to be as prepared as possible. I have looked all over the internet and copied papers, but none have really valid reasons.

Thank you so much,

Have you checked to be sure your steers feed was not medicated?

Other possiblility could be that he received a treatment from someone at the show. I'm on the heifer end, and some people will give a heifer a shot or just pour on dex to make them abort. Some friends of our had that happen to theirs at a Texas major last year. Heifer did abort and they lost a premature calf. We warned them, but they didn't take us seriously. If you have a good one, you will need to provide security for it. This year they slept with their animals.

ffamom":2pldrdrs said:
Have you checked to be sure your steers feed was not medicated?

Other possiblility could be that he received a treatment from someone at the show. I'm on the heifer end, and some people will give a heifer a shot or just pour on dex to make them abort. Some friends of our had that happen to theirs at a Texas major last year. Heifer did abort and they lost a premature calf. We warned them, but they didn't take us seriously. If you have a good one, you will need to provide security for it. This year they slept with their animals.

You must be kidding. People walk by at a show and give your heifers a shot or pour on????

SRBeef":j0jwqydt said:
You must be kidding. People walk by at a show and give your heifers a shot or pour on????

I don't know about cattle shows, but with horse shows, especially at the higher levels, there are owners/grooms/handlers that sleep just outside the horse stalls.....and for very good reason. Many a good horse has been lost or scratched from a class due to "colic" and other mysteious illness. Yes, it does happen.

I wouldn't think that higher level cattle competitions wouldn't be much different. There's a lot of scum out there in the world of showing/competing.

Katherine

Yes, unfortunately that stuff happens. In Texas, the market animals at the major shows (Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio and Star of Texas) bring high dollar at the premium auction. People will do unethical things where money is involved.
It has even happened at our little county show. It happened quite a number of years ago. Someone gave a winning hog tylenol. :(

yep. we dont have drug testing here, but a common one is people cut the tips of the tails off the baby calves at foot (flesh and bone bit, not just the hair), or people will milk out one quarter of a cow the night before show morning, so she is uneven ... or slip them some different feed so they are off colour due to belly ache ...

yeah I sleep right there behind my cows

I've never been into showing cattle but I'm appalled that this happens. I suppose I should have thought that it did but I never had an idea. Why can't ppl just be honest and keep their hands to themselves?

I show breeding stock and I've never encountered anything like that. Show against big-time national farms and never heard any of them being leery of leaving their cattle out at tie out at night. Not saying it doesn't happen - but, I think in the cattle end, it would be in the Jackpot type shows. I've never been to a show that drug tests! and I've been to national shows. Just not "the thing" in purebred breeding stock shows.

The Drug Testing or Residue Avoidance is only for market animals because of drug withdrawal times and drugs used that are not approved for the species.

Prices were down this year at the Houston Livestock Show, however the Grand Champion Steer sold for $175,000.

The Grand Champion Steers at our county fair have sold for over $15,000. One year a goat sold for $16,000. And it was not the Grand nor Reserve Champion. There are other counties surrounding Houston whose Grand Steers sold for $21,000.

The money is why people do unethical things.

http://www.mcfa.org/results_pages/auctionbuyers.htm

Latest posts