Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Cowgirl10_2

Reaction score
We have a registered heifer that's almost 3. She still hasn't gotten pregnant. 2 vets have looked at her and said her ovaries were fine. We've tried to breed her via AI and she's been in with 2 different bulls. She's out with another bull again now. Any suggestions?

Depends on "why" you have the animal in the first place. If you have her to "produce" for you...she's not...get rid of her. If it's your "business"....again she's not producing for you...get rid of her. But if it's a "hobbie" for you and you don't mind feeding her and her not producing for you...keep her and see what happens. Just depends on why you have the animal in the first place. Cheers, Bill

We bought her out of Tennessee in 2004. She was bought as a show heifer and then to produce. There's some local people that said they'd buy her for market price and experiment because they experiment on animals that won't breed and can usually get them to breed.

have you tried any heat detectants maybe the your timing is off who knows? If she doesn't get pregnant this time i would get rid of her

on a scale of 1 to so fat she eats little kids, how fat would you say she is?

showkid, we use heat detectors. When she was with the bull, she was with him for 3 months.

Beefy, I have some pictures of her, she looks somewhat skinny in them, but she's always been a good eater, and pushy for the food.

Cowgirl10_2":1ddj5fbx said:
We have a registered heifer that's almost 3. She still hasn't gotten pregnant. 2 vets have looked at her and said her ovaries were fine. We've tried to breed her via AI and she's been in with 2 different bulls. She's out with another bull again now. Any suggestions?

Yep, cull her and replace her with a heifer that can produce.

Hve to agree with msscamp on this one if she was with a bull for three months then your just wasting your money. Its time to replace her and get someting that will produce

On ones like that I have to remind myself that after a heifer begins to cycle her fertility never improves as she gets older, assuming all other things are equal.

Cull her. If she is registered you are probably planning to produce breeding stock with her, and if she has trouble breeding I sure wouldn't want to use any bull or heifer out of her, she will pass her problems on. Of any animal in the herd heifers should be the easiest to breed since they aren't raising a calf. If a heifer can't get bred within 2 cycles then she isn't worth keeping IMO.

Cowgirl10_2":1z1jhfew said:
We bought her out of Tennessee in 2004. She was bought as a show heifer and then to produce. There's some local people that said they'd buy her for market price and experiment because they experiment on animals that won't breed and can usually get them to breed.

You should have given the breeder a call a long time ago. She should have been bred at about 15 months, sometimes it's hard to catch a show heifer when they're on the road a lot. If she was exposed to a bull and not bred by 20 months you could have gotten a replacement from most reputable breeders. At this age, almost 3, I think you've waited longer than you should have. Sell her to the local people at market price. I wouldn't keep her progeny but she may provide insight into breeding problems.

Cowgirl10_2":d64wlskk said:

Could she be a freemartin? Were the bulls fertility checked? Has anyone see the bulls breed her or even act interested? I'd say if she doesn't settle to this bull and you KNOW he's able and willing to breed her, sell her for beef. I hope it works out for you.

Latest posts