HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Live and learn... it sucks, but with a bit of convincing she should take her calf and the others too... I'm not saying it will necessarily be easy, but it can happen with some perseverance.

It probably will work - she'll likely recognise her calf again. You might just need to spend a bit of time showing him where the milk is.

It's a shame you couldn't have got her home before she calved, or even with a newborn calf - the transport may have initiated calving if she was that close but that's okay. Still, what's done is done and regardless of what the other farm does, you're collecting her soon enough that she'll still be able to come into her potential milk and feed some calves.

OwnedByTheCow":10dytr5c said:
He's home. But he's alone. We are hoping to have her home by thursday but we are not sure.
Yep, we brought him home in the back of the mini van.
One does what needs to be done. I used to haul baby calves and weaner pigs in the back of a pinto station wagon.

dun":3dlw2d2k said:
OwnedByTheCow":3dlw2d2k said:
He's home. But he's alone. We are hoping to have her home by thursday but we are not sure.
Yep, we brought him home in the back of the mini van.
One does what needs to be done. I used to haul baby calves and weaner pigs in the back of a pinto station wagon.

I've hauled calves the floor of the cab of the truck, in a feed-sack with their heads popped out the opening.

I like the white on your calf's face, looks like a heart.

I hope thing go smoother for you, OwnedByTheCow. Does seem you had a pretty weird arrangement with the landowner where you kept the cow. Even us old folks still have things to learn; lucky you, that you are able to start early.

Be grateful they got you a live calf. My show cow had dead twin heifers, then my other heifer had a dead heifer yesterday. Not being able to see the birth is a small sacrifice

Okay so he has very watery eyes. Mom isn't home yet, we still don't have a trailer to get her home in. She is coming home this weekend. He had a very red nose when he was born I don't know if that has something to do with it. He didn't ever get his navel dipped when he was born. We ran around and played today. He was chasing me and having fun. He has had some scours. He also just transferred from colostrum to regular milk. The whites of his eyes are always red after feeding.

Yes. We brought her home Sunday, It has been absolutely crazy since. You know that moment when something happens and you realize you have nothing ready that you thought you had? Well yea right now we are going through that period of pure chaos. The milk machine got back ordered so I am currently milking her by hand every morning before school. It is supposed to be here friday. her pasture is flooded because of rain she she is limited to her stall which is making her grumpy. So far I am really proud about how patient she has been towards me. But everything else is absolutely not working. The calf is happy but we don't think she will take him back.

OwnedByTheCow":jlqoicka said:
Yes. We brought her home Sunday
That is one of the 2 best parts of this whole story. The other is that she calved with no problems.

I washed her udder tonight because it was bothering her and pulled out a giant chunk of placenta in between her leg and udder. No wonder it was bothering her so much.

Wow.
You might need to get a bit of antiseptic cream in there if it's caused a sore on her udder - try google, the only time I really saw those sores was when I had new calvers on oad milking, but it's more common with very heavy producers like in TMR-fed dairies. I used a bit of teatspray that had emollient in it on my ones till they cleared up.

Got to learn what you don't have/know so that you can be better ready next time. I've had to hand-milk new calvers once or twice too, even when you think you've got a whole milking parlour all ready to start up...
Try the calf. He'll probably think milking is the best fun he's ever had.

So the barn hand called me yesterday telling me that they forgot to tell me that she had udder rot and they didn't give me her medication. That fixes everything maybe it will help her feel better. The baby is getting 2 gallons of milk a day but I feel like its not enough.

2 gallons split into 2 feedings is what we've done on the dairy for years to start with. Maybe after 2 or 3 weeks we'll bump up to 5 or 6 quarts, but that's it. Then we start offering grain along with the milk. Make sure she has fresh water at all times as well.

Latest posts