HELP-- to much corn on the cob!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

farm princess

Reaction score
We always plant an acre of sweet corn and it seems that after it is finally ready, we eat it for a few weeks and then it gets hot and nearly ruins it. We have taken to freezing it and we generally take several days due to the amount of corn we don't want to be ruined. I am looking for easier ways to freeze it besides boiling and cutting it off. Any suggestions???? I need all the help I can get since it is getting real close!!!! I have heard you can leave it in the husks? Is this true???? Once again, HELP!!!!

;-)

farm princess":2tolnccq said:
We always plant an acre of sweet corn and it seems that after it is finally ready, we eat it for a few weeks and then it gets hot and nearly ruins it. We have taken to freezing it and we generally take several days due to the amount of corn we don't want to be ruined. I am looking for easier ways to freeze it besides boiling and cutting it off. Any suggestions???? I need all the help I can get since it is getting real close!!!! I have heard you can leave it in the husks? Is this true???? Once again, HELP!!!!

;-)

Freeze them cob and all.

Bez?

We shuck just a little and freeze as Bez? has said. We usually cut some of the ends off but not to the corn.

Soak them when ready to use to thaw and the silk comes off easy.

We freeze sweet corn also, but we just shuck it, cut if off the cob, then it goes on the stove for like 3 minutes, thrown in bags and in the freezer. We tried freezing on the cob, but didn't like all the space it took up.

Michele

Time to have a party. If you invite the right folks they can both eat and prepare corn.

P.S. If you invite me I will bring a hostess gift.

mitchwi":2nh4g7yl said:
We freeze sweet corn also, but we just shuck it, cut if off the cob, then it goes on the stove for like 3 minutes, thrown in bags and in the freezer. We tried freezing on the cob, but didn't like all the space it took up.

Michele

Get a bigger freezer. We have a 27 cu ft and it has room for a steer, a pig, a couple of deer (all boned), and tons of produce. As the stuff gets used and less space is occupied we take 2 liter coke bottles, fill them with water and throw them in to keep a larger frozen mass. Cuts down on electric costs.

dun

dun":3fk6fkub said:
As the stuff gets used and less space is occupied we take 2 liter coke bottles, fill them with water and throw them in to keep a larger frozen mass. Cuts down on electric costs.

Thats a good idea. My mom goes to the discount bread store and fills it up.

Them frozen bottles are nice to take along to the hay field too. Let 'em thaw during the day keeps plenty of cold water around without having to take a lot of coolers or jugs.
They're also nice for packing in coolers when hauling meat back from the processor.

Bullbuyer":1i31bbns said:
Them frozen bottles are nice to take along to the hay field too. Let 'em thaw during the day keeps plenty of cold water around without having to take a lot of coolers or jugs.
They're also nice for packing in coolers when hauling meat back from the processor.

We also do this, only we use gallon milk jugs. Fill about 3/4 and freeze. If you keep it in the shade, it will last all afternoon.

Stocker Steve:

We always have a party but never near the time the sweet corn is ready---way to hot! We have a big hog roast in September, but we generally supply the hog and bean soup and and everyone else brings side dishes and desserts. This year I will try and set out some sweet corn in a big ole pot of butter!!!

Any one who wants to make the trip to Ohio is more than welcome to come!!!

Thanks everyone for the help!!!!!!!

;-)

Why does having more frozen mass in the freezer cut down on electric cost? Doesn't the freezer run just as much no matter what's in it? I'v never heard that before. I learn something new every day! I guess I need to go hunt some more hogs to fill ours up more.

sidney411":expk0npc said:
Why does having more frozen mass in the freezer cut down on electric cost? Doesn't the freezer run just as much no matter what's in it? I'v never heard that before. I learn something new every day! I guess I need to go hunt some more hogs to fill ours up more.

The more cold mass the longer it stays cold enough that it doesn;t have to run. With some of the newer ones it may not make much of a difference in electric costs. We used to have ours out one th back porch one place we lived in the desert. The fuller it was the lower the electric bill. There, with temps in the hundred and teens for 6-7 months a year it was really noticable

dun

sidney411":bp49rnk5 said:
Why does having more frozen mass in the freezer cut down on electric cost? I learn something new every day! I guess I need to go hunt some more hogs to fill ours up more.

Jugs of ice are nice, but usually road kill or bear bait or road kill for bear bait are better freezer filling choices for this time of year.

Stocker Steve":3b1o2mqv said:
sidney411":3b1o2mqv said:
Why does having more frozen mass in the freezer cut down on electric cost? I learn something new every day! I guess I need to go hunt some more hogs to fill ours up more.

Jugs of ice are nice, but usually road kill or bear bait or road kill for bear bait are better freezer filling choices for this time of year.

We're not allowed to bait bears in WV - that'll get you some time in jail and loss of license.

EWWWW! The last thing I want in my freezer is road kill! Gross!

Gosh Dun, you just gave me another excuse to go hunting! I'll have to print off this post and show it to my hubby to prove there is really a good reason I need to go hunting more often. Yeah!

In general bears like the same stuff we do. Typical modern day bear bait in order of preference is:

1) sweets
2) fresh meat
3) fermented grain
4) all other

(So I only pick up the fresh road kill.)

P.S. Bear baiting is thought to increase cub survival during poor food years by "creep feeding" them in the fall while you search for that nocturnal trophy boar.

Off the corn subject but when I lived in North Idaho I used bacon grease as a bait...burried oysters or clams work well as the bear will spent the time to dig them. Put chickens in trees but the bears just ate them on the run...had a friend that managed the local marker and got all the old off shelf stock.
Dmc

Have you tried simply spacing out your plantings along with different varieties that mature at different rates? You should be able to space it out over 6 weeks atleast.

sidney411":7gyt8123 said:
==========
It requires less motor time to keep a mass frozen than air. More mass/less air...less electricity used...once it is frozen.

Latest posts