help... possible dehydration... may loose one

Help Support CattleToday:

Irishred

Reaction score
hi all,

I posted on the health and nutrition board but I know that one may not be read as much as here.

6 holstein baby bulls and we may be loosing one. They all got scours of varying degrees as somewhat expected. Have been given meds for it but one of them is not looking real good and was given another dose this AM. He is the smallest of the bunch. Sunday, in a small town with little access to things to get. Cannot get calf electrolytes and pedialyte is like 5 times as much as you would expect. Could I get Power/Gator Ade and give him a few ounces every hour or so? Would that help at all, possibly give the meds time to kick in?

Thank you

Search around the boards. Someone posted a home made version of electrolytes.

I'm sorry to hear this.
I think that I found the recipe that dun mentioned.

ollie":233zutcz said:
Ok Milkmaid. Here is the complex formula I use.

1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup corn white corn syrup ( She says I usually want her to sub sugar so I can carry it as a powder and mix with water with out going back to the house when I find a scouring calf.)
10cc spectam

I usually mix with a quart of water. The recipe is an old friends and he says he uses a half gallon.
It works everytime for me. Sometimes if they get real weak I may treat them twice. It sure goes out the drench tube easier than all that glue junk.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewto...0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=homemade+electrolyte+recipe

You might want to get a stool sample checked for coccidiosis. Good luck with him.

chippie":2eo5ipmx said:
ollie":2eo5ipmx said:
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup corn white corn syrup ( She says I usually want her to sub sugar so I can carry it as a powder and mix with water with out going back to the house when I find a scouring calf.)
10cc spectam

I usually mix with a quart of water.

I have used this 'recipe' twice in the last 3 years. It worked well. I used sugar in place of the corn syrup.

Katherine

Latest posts