Help Please

Help Support CattleToday:

Mel009

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this list & I actually dont own any cattle. But my friend up the road has a sick cow with a baby calf and we have been trying to help her all afternoon. We have just had a really hot day & the mother cow laid down & wouldn't get up! The poor calf hasn't had a drink all afternoon. Can anyone please give me some advise on how to get the cow up on her feet again? Many thanks, Mel

call the vet if you don't know what is wrong !!!!
how is she acting laying normal with her head back or on her side flat.? how old is the calf ?? could be milk fever it is hard to tell without more information. did this happen sudden or has she been acting different before she went down.??

I don't know if I can help, but I just had the same experience. Calf needs to be bottle fed and it is important to get some Colustrum into the calf asap. Mother may not get up again, and I have been told by others on here that it is probably due to nerve damage to her hips. Mine laid in the field for 2 weeks, because I was hoping, but even though I fed her and tried everything to get her up, she died. I hope that you have better luck, but I have a beautiful heifer calf.

Latest posts