HELP PLEASE

Help Support CattleToday:

MrsMeinke

Reaction score
We have a sick calf on our hands and we haven't ever made it in time to help one. His momma died around three days ago and we couldn't find her or the calf. Our best guess is that she probably died giving birth to him because he is a BEAST of a baby. He is still hanging on, but we need advice. So far today, he's had one pint of milk replacer and two pints of electrolytes over two doses. He doesn't want to stand or eat and we are having to force feed him. His eyes are rolled back in his head. I don't know if we just need to keep doing what we are doing and hope he pulls through or if there is something else we can do.

Add 2eggs and shot of whiskey or can of beer to the milk replacers or electrolytes 1time a day, for a total dose. Eggs are protein, and prevent scours, alcohol is an old remedy that I've used to save many. Trust me it works if its not to late.I even thought to late and worked.

Welcome to the forum. If it happens again try to get some colostrum into the calf as soon as possible. If this one is 3 days old I doubt if it would it much good at this point. Good luck.

3 pints doesn't sound like enough if he's that big. Can he hold his head up?

Thanks for all of the info, unfortunately he passed away yesterday. I just don't think we found him in time.

Latest posts