Help, my owner doesn't know what I am

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":nm5i63je said:
RD-Sam":nm5i63je said:
So is a Hereford that hasn't been crossed not considered a fullblood?

:???: :???: :?: U -h-h-h-h - What parts of:
1) Purebred
2) Fullblood
3) Gelbvieh
4) Limousin
5) Hereford
6) Crossbred
7) Europe. . . . .

. . . .do you NOT understand? You might try reading my post - again - just to make sure that you read it correctly! For example ... "Europe" is NOT "British". Herefords are a "British" breed!

DOC HARRIS

Uhh, the last time I looked, britain was a part of europe, or do I need to go back to high school?

U-h-h-h- Perhaps I should have been a little more specific for you. "Continental" Europe as opposed to the "British Isles" Europe.

Your reference to Herefords make little sense to me in the context of Fullbloods vs. Purebreds.

Go to the websites for Gelbvieh and Simmental Breeds. I think that they may be able to help you understand. Or - - you might ask HEREFORDSIRE for his opinion!

...on second thought - he would probably say the same thing that you are saying!

In any case, the subject is moot at this point. Case closed! :lol2:

DOC HARRIS

Good post DOC...now help me understand why cattle are called "cross breeds" and many of us humans are called "half breeds"?? :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":3s8t70pc said:
Good post DOC...now help me understand why cattle are called "cross breeds" and many of us humans are called "half breeds"?? :lol: :lol:

I'm not much help on your question, but I do know why some are called halfwits ;-)

RD-Sam....Here is a real world example of what Doc may be referring to if you need to ask more questions (notice the fullblood and purebred references):

USDA SPECIFICATION FOR CHARACTERISTICS OF CATTLE ELIGIBLE
FOR APPROVED BRANDED BEEF PROGRAMS CLAIMING WAGYU INFLUENCE

1. SCOPE
This specification sets forth the requirements for live cattle from which carcasses can be derived for certification in approved branded beef programs claiming Wagyu influence. Cattle may qualify for the breed influence specification of these branded beef programs by meeting the Genotype requirement specified below.

REQUIREMENTS
2.1 Genotype Cattle eligible for Wagyu influence certified beef programs must have positive identification (e.g., ear tags, tattoos, brands) and be traceable to provable (e.g., registration papers) Wagyu parentage. Qualifying cattle must be traceable to one registered parent (Fullblood or Purebred), two registered percentage or recorded parents, two registered grandparents (Fullblood or Purebred), or one registered Terminal Cross sire. The registration definitions of Fullblood, Purebred, Percentage, Recorded, and Terminal Cross, can be viewed at www.wagyu.org. For an animal to qualify as Wagyu, subsequently allowing the meat from the animal to be eligible to claim Wagyu influence, the animal must be an offspring of:
2.1.1 A registered sire of at least 15/16 Wagyu bloodlines (i.e., Fullblood or Purebred);
2.1.2 A registered dam of at least 15/16 Wagyu bloodlines (i.e., Fullblood or Purebred);
2.1.3 Two registered grandparents of at least 15/16 Wagyu bloodlines (i.e., Fullblood or Purebred):
2.1.4 A registered Percentage or Recorded Wagyu sire mated to a registered Percentage or Recorded Wagyu dam, as long as the offspring has the same minimum percentage of Wagyu bloodlines as if using a 15/16 Wagyu registered sire on a commercial dam; or
2.1.5 A registered Terminal Cross sire.

WARNING...pdf download
http://www.wagyu.org/GLW%20--%20Wagyu%2 ... 041808.pdf

I know the difference between fullblood and purebred. The thing that bothered me about Doc' statement was that this calf obviously had Hereford influence, then he just listed two breeds that were "fullblood" from european origin. Since we were obviously talking about the Hereford breed, I found it odd that he didn't include them with other breeds from europe. I guess this is just a case of me being new at this and not realizing a Hereford is categorized as a "British" breed. My bad, I wasn't trying to ruffle Doc's feathers, I was just looking for an answer.

RD-Sam":3a6tcu8a said:
I know the difference between fullblood and purebred. The thing that bothered me about Doc' statement was that this calf obviously had Hereford influence, then he just listed two breeds that were "fullblood" from european origin. Since we were obviously talking about the Hereford breed, I found it odd that he didn't include them with other breeds from europe. I guess this is just a case of me being new at this and not realizing a Hereford is categorized as a "British" breed. My bad, I wasn't trying to ruffle Doc's feathers, I was just looking for an answer.

I do not think Doc was literally correct in his original post about the topic, although he may have meant the same point. I am pretty sure he was not trying to deceive you. The following definitions will give you an idea of what I am referring to. The exact definition should be location independent and not depend what country or breed you were focusing on. Didn't bovines originate in Asia when there was one land mass?

Fullblood Definition

Animals registered in the Japanese Wagyu Herdbook and animals whose sire and dam are registered as 100% Fullblood Wagyu, and progeny of registered 100% Fullblood Wagyu parents are classified as Fullblood animals.

Purebred Definition

Progeny of registered Wagyu sires and dams with a minimum of percentage of Wagyu blood of at least 93.75% (15/16 and above). No animal may enter the Purebred registry until it has an identified sire and designated amount of Wagyu blood. No animal may be registered in the Purebred registry with white above the flank or in front of navel, except birthmarks.

backhoeboogie":2lxhrw9u said:
My cows are 100 percent cow, no matter what anyone else calls them. :D

Now you're talking...although there will always be one in the bunch that has to have a little jackass blood in her. :lol:

Latest posts