Help...Livestock Trailer Wood Floor Is Too Slippery

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw a guy with rubber flooring in his trailer and it didn't seem to be particularly effective... As long as I have some crushed gravel on my floor they're OK, but I have to put some grid in the back so they stop crash-landing when they try and jump out

I am completely sold on the rubber mats I hauled two loads yesterday and the 2nd load was a crazy old cow I have been trying to get rid of for a year and couldn't get her pinned until yesterday.

I hauled her by herself and expected her to crash around all the way to the sale barn. As far as I know she didn't slip once.
She did warp my back gate when I got to the sale barn, trying to go over the top, now it won't slide.

Nesikep":3emx7qek said:
I saw a guy with rubber flooring in his trailer and it didn't seem to be particularly effective... As long as I have some crushed gravel on my floor they're OK, but I have to put some grid in the back so they stop crash-landing when they try and jump out
Not all rubber mats are4 e created equal, there are good ones and some that are about as effective as a layer of condoms.

torogmc81":kqqjxd3x said:
fasten a cattle panel to the wood floor. Not expensive and works really well!!

All I've ever used for cattle. Let a little manure build up and dry out...gives good traction. Clean it out 2 maybe 3 times a year.

danl"[b:1mlq7iaz said:
]I am completely sold on the rubber mats [/b]I hauled two loads yesterday and the 2nd load was a crazy old cow I have been trying to get rid of for a year and couldn't get her pinned until yesterday.

I hauled her by herself and expected her to crash around all the way to the sale barn. As far as I know she didn't slip once.
She did warp my back gate when I got to the sale barn, trying to go over the top, now it won't slide.
Sure like mine, work great.

I have never modified a trailer floor - never had to - but then again I do modify how I frigging drive when I am hauling - you would be surprised how many people do not!

If those floors were unaccepotable for hauling, they would not come as they are - they would already be modified for hauling - perhaps the driver is the issue?

Quite frankly I see all these expensive and / or jury rigged solutions and I think they are all a waste of time and money.

Throw some straw down.

Slow the H E L L down when you are driving.

Accelerate away from stops slowly.

Start to lead your stopping distance by more than your usual - preventing heavy breaking.

Double your distance between you and the guy in front of you.

Put your animal in half the trailer - meaning if you have dividers - use them - and start from the front of the trailer working to the back.

And frigging relax - it is a trailer and you are hauling animals - not nitro glycerin

All the hauling I have done over the years - all I have ever done is the above - plus I NEVER haul without straw on the deck. Straw provides some traction and soaks up the wet that makes things slippery.

Literally millions of cattle go down the road EVERY day this way.

Seems some folks get wrapped around the axles when in fact it is their driving habits that cause most of the trouble - but then again - did you ever meet anyone who would admit they were NOT a good driver?

Put some damm straw down, load them and go - put your money in your pocket and use it for something for you or the family

Bez

Once again you show you disdain for anyone who doesn't do it like you. You have no idea how these folks drive nor the conditions they drive in or how they load their cattle. Dam back off with that condescending attitude. He77 straw, hay or whatever has a related cost also.

The straws just one more thing you gotta scoop out when you clean the trailer. I spray mine out at the carwash and the straw would keep me from being able to do that. I use one by to screw down to the floor. Its permanent and unlike the straw or mats you don't have to move them around to clean the wood.

TexasBred":1zx6s8zf said:
Once again you show you disdain for anyone who doesn't do it like you. You have no idea how these folks drive nor the conditions they drive in or how they load their cattle. Dam back off with that condescending attitude. He77 straw, hay or whatever has a related cost also.

Distain?

Nope not at all

But if you choose to read the worst in anything I write - if you think I am a hard nose - perhaps you are the problem? Have you ever looked in the mirror?

Your opinion is not much value to me to date - perhaps in the future but not to date.

Or perhaps I should try to make it soft like a kindergarten teacher so you are not offended?

While it is your right to be offended perhaps I am offended that you are offended. LOL

I will get you another and taller ladder so you can climb even higher and look even further down your nose at me. LOL

Take what I write for what it is worth - to some it is not worth anything - to others it has been quite helpful - while the style is not yours - if what I have written is not something you see regularly - then you live a very sheltered life and need to get out more.

In the end - if you do not like it you do not have to read it

Have a nice day old boy

Bez

:lol: :lol: :lol: :cowboy: Much of what you write is pretty worthless thus I ignore it, but if it makes you feel good don't stop. By the way, you need to put a disclaimer at the end of each of your post that "results may vary....dramatically". What do you use to get frozen cow pi%% mixed with straw out of that trailer in the middle of a canadian winter?? A pick axe...or do you just wait for August and let it thaw and blow out?

Best to you as well. ;-)

I always did put down straw, and majorly modified my driving. The mats still make a big difference.

Even with the mats I still drive cautiously. I go about 45 mph tops and coast to a stop and turn gently.

[ What do you use to get frozen cow pi%% mixed with straw out of that trailer in the middle of a canadian winter?? A pick axe...or do you just wait for August and let it thaw and blow out?

Best to you as well. ;-)[/quote]
A lot easier than frozen manure and a cattle panel.
All I've ever used is sand or straw, like sand the best.

skeeter swatter":1w1dzsot said:
[ What do you use to get frozen cow pi%% mixed with straw out of that trailer in the middle of a canadian winter?? A pick axe...or do you just wait for August and let it thaw and blow out?

Best to you as well. ;-)
A lot easier than frozen manure and a cattle panel.
All I've ever used is sand or straw, like sand the best.[/quote]
I see you tried the cattle panel. ;-) :mrgreen:

Nesikep":drqdk2ur said:
Probably not quite as good, but some places have used industrial conveyor belting... it's certainly cheaper... I have a wood floor and I throw down a 5 gallon pail of crushed gravel on the wood floor and don't have a problem (I got a nasty little road too).. I spend about 20$ pressure washing it out at the truckwash after

We use barn lime.
Helps give traction and freshens up the trailer.

Latest posts