Help...Livestock Trailer Wood Floor Is Too Slippery

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Any ideas as the best way to prevent cattle slip and falls in livestock trailers with wood floor?
Mats?
If so which brand and or style is best suited for cattle?
Checkerplate, grooved, honeycomb, ribbed or makes no difference?
Could a cattle panel on the floor for traction work safely?
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

I don't know where you live, but I bought the stall mats at Orscheln and it made a huge improvement. They are heavy and a little hard to handle but I haven't had a cow fall yet. And the ride is much quieter.

May not have needed to, but I screwed them to the floor with hex net screws.

this post reminds. me I need to take them out and give the floor a good cleaning

danl":1qdfm6a5 said:
I don't know where you live, but I bought the stall mats at Orscheln and it made a huge improvement. They are heavy and a little hard to handle but I haven't had a cow fall yet. And the ride is much quieter.

May not have needed to, but I screwed them to the floor with hex net screws.

this post reminds. me I need to take them out and give the floor a good cleaning
We have those heavy mats in our trailer and didn;t fasten them down. We hose out the trailer after each use and once a year in the winter pull the mats(one helluva job) and pressure was everything. Been down for about 6 years with no problems. The trailer is in heavy demand from goat and horse hauling neighbors though. Besides those and cows one neighbor used it to haul some hogs and nother to haul a flock of breeding turkeys.

jedstivers":3iuu5b3q said:
Tha mats from TS are good. We oiled the boards good before screwing them down but will pull them once a year and wash and reoil. Have very little moisture or manure make it to the wood anyway.

Hope you have better luck than me removing the SS screws. In mine the acid in the p00p rounded the heads off on the SS screws. Tried to cut them off with a chisel and finally gave up and just power washed it out. We are VERY dry here so it shouldn't be a big problem I just cant let it stay dirty year round or it rusts the metal along the botton. Last year when i powerwashed mine i sprayed it with bed liner along the bottom 12in of metal. that seems to have helped it a lot.

oh ok Jed those things do put up a fight when you move them around. I can see why you can just lay them in a trailer and they don't move.

skyhightree1":2cacnbxz said:
Dun is this the pads you are speaking of ?

Those are the ones. When the local TSC had it's grand opening they had them on sale for 10 bucks apiece. Don;t know as I would pay the going price for them.

Yea, I was like geez those things are high but never bought them before or paid much attention to them so didn't know whether that was a good price.

Clamp a couple pair of vice grips on those mats, and you can drag them any where you want to go.

Probably not quite as good, but some places have used industrial conveyor belting... it's certainly cheaper... I have a wood floor and I throw down a 5 gallon pail of crushed gravel on the wood floor and don't have a problem (I got a nasty little road too).. I spend about 20$ pressure washing it out at the truckwash after

Bigfoot":3gz58yn9 said:
Clamp a couple pair of vice grips on those mats, and you can drag them any where you want to go.
I use the vise grips for holding sheet metal (have kind of a wide bill type deal). Gives it a wider contact area so a better bite.
vicegrips.jpg

jedstivers":3tzmxfk4 said:
We also use those mats in the shop to stand on, you're feet don't get near as sore on concrete.

If they can keep my back from hurting while standing on the bench for extended periods of time I would pay 200.00 per mat :lol: