Help Identifying Issue

Help Support CattleToday:

El Pedregal

Reaction score
I am new to cattle raising and have already encountered some issues. My Beefmaster Bull Calf has developed some skin condition that I would like to identify. They are I've done some research and have kinda narrowed it down to Mange or Lice but I could be totally wrong. This started about 3 weeks ago and is progressively getting worse. I applied Eprinex Pour about 5 days ago but I know it's going to take a while to see results if any. He's grazing and eating fine but these rashes are causing alot of discomfort. I see him scratching himself alot on trees and poles. My heifer has also started showing signs of these rashes and I also treated her with the Eprinex Pour On at the same time. I searched these boards and online and have mostly heard great results about Eprinex. Should I start getting worried and call in a Vet? I'll try to post pics once I figure out how. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like about the worst case of ringworm (dermatophytosis) that I've ever seen on a calf.

Welcome to the forum. At the very least I'd show those photos to a vet. He/she might or might not diagnose the problem without examining the calves, but it's worth a shot.

Lucky_P":34y9b0r4 said:
Looks like about the worst case of ringworm (dermatophytosis) that I've ever seen on a calf.
X2. It is ringworm most likely. With it that bad and all the rubbing, my concern would be a secondary bacterial infection.
With uncomplicated Ring worm, it just runs it's course. You can use anti fungal creams and shampoos that help, but not necessary if you are not showing them.

Think about photo sensitivity. Can be triggered by something they are eating.
Most likely ringworm but thats a real bad case, fast development and the scratching makes me wonder.

The real question would be.... why do these calves have such a bad case of ringworm? Immunocompromised? They look thin in the pictures...

I don't think eprinex works on fungal infections like ringworm.
I've been lucky I guess and never had much problem with it, but the one time I did, neighbor told me to use an off label treatment. It (or the sunshine) worked.
61oGAWV3K3L._SY355_.jpg

I neither reccomend it or don't--just sayin it worked for me.

Dam GB that stuff would probably burn like the dickins, and you certainly don't want to get it in their eyes.
I scrub mine real well with an anti fungal shampoo, then apply an anti fungal solution to it daily. You find it in the horse section at Tractor supply or feed stores. It works really well to kill it.
But I must say, this is the worst case I have ever seen.

Looking into it some more, evidently I and my neighbor aren't the only one s who reccomend it.
Type the following into Google:
"fluid film for ringworm"

Spoke to a local Vet after sending him pics. He also agrees its's ringworm and recommend iodine wash. I researched online and got many hits for Fluid Film and applied it several days ago. I'll let u know how it works.

greybeard":1dqo54pu said:
Looking into it some more, evidently I and my neighbor aren't the only one s who reccomend it.
Type the following into Google:
"fluid film for ringworm"
Interesting. Will have to take a look at it.

I saw this guy yesterday, with the worst baldness I've seen with ringworm:
str_1856.jpg
str_1855.jpg

He's 19 months old and originally from my herd, which hasn't had ringworm for several years, so the young stock would be susceptible. He's amongst a lot of other cattle at his new home and it is only those from my place which have it. Presumably the others are already immune. They're otherwise happy and healthy.

Took a look at him tody and noticed hair growing back in some areas. I guess the Fluid Film works. :D

Latest posts