Help Getting Started

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I am getting back into the cattle business after 30 years away.

I live in SE Alabama (100 acres) and would like to know what type of cattle would work the best for this area/climate I am leaning towards Black Angus. I am going to buy 6 hefers in a few weeks and plan to AI them next year when they reach 15-17 months

Also,,,would it be best to start with pure blood stock, because I am going to try and select a good quality bull's semen to AI them with. I KNOW LOTS OF ?????? I havent even scratched the surface yet.

since your going to use AI as your starting outit would be best to go with purebred cattle.buy from an estb herd private treaty. scott

bigbull338":yed58kb6 said:
since your going to use AI as your starting outit would be best to go with purebred cattle.buy from an estb herd private treaty. scott

My choice would be crossbred because you are going to use AI. And I'ld buy private treaty from an established herd

dun

Are you wanting to raise for the feed lot or for seed stock? If your future goal is to use a terminal sire on your cows why not start out with the best 6 heifers you can afford reg. or not. then use another breed for your AI sire that way you can keep some of your best calves to build up your herd. In a few years you should have some real good cross cows to breed. It is real hard to beat a british cross cow bred to a conntinental sire for beef calves. Since you seem to be leaning toward Angus A Hereford, Welsh Black, or shorthorn for a AI sire would make you some nice cross heifers.

bigbull338":39aomz57 said:

Why? Good Angus semen is cheaper than buying and maintianing a bull? Who cares if it is a registered bull going into commercial heifers. Use a bull with proven numbers and you will be assured some calving ease and growth accuracy...right?

Nevermind. I think I see where he is going....registered. :roll: It looked as though he was kind debating the registered end of it at first, and I thought you were recommending him to buy regisitered just because he was going to AI. Sorry bigbull.

SCfarms":s6ard5sz said:
I got Brangus for sale give me a call lots of heifers, show prospects, cows. Also have other PB cattle for sale.

FYI Advertising is not allowed in the message board.

Like ALACOWMAN said, Brangus would be a good choice. Down in the wiregrass area especially, Brahman influenced cows are the just the ticket. Brahman crossbred cows bred to a Continental breed will give you some heavy muscled, heavy weaning calves. Another suggestion I would consider is breeding Brangus cows to a Hereford bull to produce super baldies.

C HOLLAND":3qnkgzyi said:
I am getting back into the cattle business after 30 years away.

I live in SE Alabama (100 acres) and would like to know what type of cattle would work the best for this area/climate I am leaning towards Black Angus. I am going to buy 6 hefers in a few weeks and plan to AI them next year when they reach 15-17 months

Also,,,would it be best to start with pure blood stock, because I am going to try and select a good quality bull's semen to AI them with. I KNOW LOTS OF ?????? I havent even scratched the surface yet.

I think any of the major breeds will work in this climate. I know a Charolais guy who has no real climate problems down your way. I am inclined to go Registered (if you can stand to pay the premium) since a herd of six is essentially 'front yard cattle' where looks and pride of ownership matters more than the ~25 pounds theoretical advantage the crossbred calf would have on a scale. You will often have a hard time getting what your cattle are really worth (because you are small and new at this) and don't keep a bull back UNLESS you are really convinced he is a GOOD one (because it is hard to affordably market 1 or 2 bulls). I probably would lean towards Herefords (horned or polled); but if you like Angus go with Angus. They are THE dominant breed right now, the selection is tremendous, and I believe they will stay the number one breed.

FYI there is a pretty good outfit (Southern Cattle Company) having a sale in September. They are not too far from you in Marianna, FL. They have some pretty good Registered Angus and I hear it is worth the trip to see the sale barn. I hear it is NICE. PM me if you want some more info.

jscunn":1h1b8lhn said:
FYI there is a pretty good outfit (Southern Cattle Company) having a sale in September. They are not too far from you in Marianna, FL. They have some pretty good Registered Angus and I hear it is worth the trip to see the sale barn. I hear it is NICE. PM me if you want some more info.

Well, I went to an Auction today in Dothan Alabama and they had 100 head of yearland Registered Angus Hefers (from Southern Cattle Co.) that were 5-7 months bred. They sold for $1200 each on average.

I will be going back in October when they will be bringing another 100+ head of 7+ Hefers,,,,,and watch out MAMA let go of them GREENBACKS LOL

OH Yeah HELP""""" my brain was left at the auction because I drove my tractor in the woods where I had timber cut 18 months ago and well it's ON A STUMP with wheels spinning.
I will be in the woods in the AM with chain saw and jacks and having so much fun,,,,YEAH RIGHT. Help is welcome :)

Thanks everyone for your input, And I am leaning towards PB Angus for sure and AI them to a PB Hereford Bull.,,?????how does that sound.

C HOLLAND":3nurkeu1 said:
Thanks everyone for your input, And I am leaning towards PB Angus for sure and AI them to a PB Hereford Bull.,,?????how does that sound.
Sounds to me like a helluva good idea to me.

Breeding Angus cows to Hereford bulls is a tried and true practice in the cattle industry nationwide. My parents run Angus/Brangus cross cows between Andalusia and Florala and the cows do well in that area. You've made a wise choice.

J. T.":3o3nfzib said:
Breeding Angus cows to Hereford bulls is a tried and true practice in the cattle industry nationwide. My parents run Angus/Brangus cross cows between Andalusia and Florala and the cows do well in that area. You've made a wise choice.

JT I will be getting some Brangus also, probally next year, are they good to cross with a Hereford also and the cross is it called a black baldy also. I was told yesterday that I should just use a PB Angus with the brangus hefers.
There were some brangus at the auction yesterday, they had calves and went for 1000-1500 a pair.

I will have about 70 acres of pasture by next year and plan to go to about 35 head total, (made an offer on 50 more adjoing acres) if I get that then I can get to 50 head. I plan on selling all the bull calfs as steers and keep my good hefers for brood stock. I plan to do AI only in the beginning and may not get a bull at all if this works out. No bull will help keep the fences in better shape and will be one less to feed. My wife tells me all the time,,,An OLD BULL is only good for one thing and they always break stuff and never finish anything,,,

C. Holland, If you are ever in the Montgomery area I will be glad to spend some time with you and attempt to help you find some of the answers you are looking for.

Just as important as what breed you prefer is the quality of the cattle in the breed of your choice.
I personally think brangus is a wise choice in this area, but you may not be satisfied if the right ones are not purchased.

The marketing of your calves must be figured into the equation of breed choice also.

1-Are you going to feed the calves and retain ownership?
2-Are you going to wean on the trailer?
3-Are you going to build a backgrounding system and sell to feedlots?
4-Are you going to sell the heifers in a replacement system?

There are several options to take in the cattle business. I would start at the end and work backwards in choosing a breed. Letting the breed choice be answered in the marketing decision instead of choosing a breed and attempting to market what you have just because you like a certain breed.

Number one priority - you will be in the "Food" business and should treat it accordingly, also you are attempting to raise this "Food" through the forage available in your area.

You must also look forward to where the "Beef" market is going and try to meet the future demands. Right now pork and chicken are our competititors, we must get more efficient in order to keep the present market share.

Latest posts