Getting ready to move some heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We are ready to move the heifers and bull to a fresh pasture, and have started feeding over by a gate to get them used to the area so they will follow across a farm road to another field in a few days. Have a few that haven't integrated in with the others yet and haven't ventured over there.
these are al home raised out of either a Hereford or an Angus bull. The bull is a 13 month old Angus. EE2EB8C7-F848-4EFD-B141-12387E41E0B2.jpeg65290CDD-CFD5-43BD-B0BB-7FFE5F08A0A9.jpeg1840F338-D700-405F-B8BC-2D4D39FCEDC0.jpegC00D700F-4DAE-4B45-BD92-130F707A677E.jpeg

Nice big bellies and slick hair on those blacks. They look nice. Don't hurt to have one horny toad in the group to fight the coyotes lol.

How have you been feeding them, also any particular influence in the bull or the heifers?

Thanks, @BFE the calves from the Angus bull have slicked off good, He was a son of PA Power Tool out of an Image Maker cow. I'm disappointed in the Hereford sired calves in that area. He was a Ft. Knox x Embassy. The young bull in the picture is a half brother to the Angus sired heifers.
Have been feeding the group of 18 around 4-5 lbs of 1/2 soyhulls and 1/2 corn gluten.

Nice thick girls. 209 would have never kept her horns at my place.
Normally they don't here either, but the Hereford bull was bought to be polled but has thrown several horned calves. We have a longhorn cow that is literally on guard better than any other guard animal I have have had. That heifer is out of another longhorn cow that had been dehorned but is still real protective of her calves so hoping that this calf may pick up that role too.

they look like a well cared for group of cattle. good luck with the move. seems like I generally have at least one that gets right up to the gate and decides to turn around and run back into the old pasture.

She looks great especially if she is a longhorn cross
Thanks, her mother is one of my oldest cows, a big frame rangy brindle cow. Her calves are a toss up some years they look more like a beef calf and then sometimes they take on her look after weaning. That is the thickest calf she has had, her calf this year by the same bull is ok but not quite a thick as that one.

As fine a set of heifers as I have seen. I'd be proud to have a pasture full like this...even the red ones :) It is evident to anyone who reads your posts, that you put a lot of thought and planning into your breeding program, and it shows. Nice looking bull as well. He and those heifers look like a recipe for success. What kind of grass is that in these pics?

As fine a set of heifers as I have seen. I'd be proud to have a pasture full like this...even the red ones :) It is evident to anyone who reads your posts, that you put a lot of thought and planning into your breeding program, and it shows. Nice looking bull as well. He and those heifers look like a recipe for success. What kind of grass is that in these pics?
Thanks for the kind words. Our pastures are mainly fescue, and white clover, with some bluegrass, red clover, and orchard grass. The field they are in is pretty well ate down.

Thanks for the kind words. Our pastures are mainly fescue, and white clover, with some bluegrass, red clover, and orchard grass. The field they are in is pretty well ate down.
These heifers are the right kind for any commercial cattle operation. There are none of any breed or cross breed, that would do better, especially bred to that Angus bull. You gonna get black and bwf calves that will bring top dollar when you sell them, for many years. Down here where I am, I might would use a Brangus bull instead, but it probably wouldn't matter either way if I did or didn't. Looking forward to seeing this calf crop next year. Is this bull one you bred or raised? Or did you buy him? Either way, he is a damned nice looking bull.

These heifers are the right kind for any commercial cattle operation. There are none of any breed or cross breed, that would do better, especially bred to that Angus bull. You gonna get black and bwf calves that will bring top dollar when you sell them, for many years. Down here where I am, I might would use a Brangus bull instead, but it probably wouldn't matter either way if I did or didn't. Looking forward to seeing this calf crop next year. Is this bull one you bred or raised? Or did you buy him? Either way, he is a damned nice looking bull.
Thanks. If we were in an area where Brangus were more common, that would be a direction I would likely go.
The bull is a second generation home raised bull. His sire was a registered Angus from when we were having AI done. This calf's dam is a commercial black cow that we bought when she was a heifer in a group of 500 lb heifers. She has now had 3 calves within 3 years. Her mates have been consistent with calving intervals too

Latest posts