HELP-calf with obstruction in intestine

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
I have a 800# brangus steer I've been feeding to butcher with other steer 850# angus, have had vet out twice first time he said he has a belly ache gave him some lax and a shot for pain, next morn calf seemed worse, he will drink ,no eating though, walk a little ,stand with his back legs elongated behind him, seems to be in pain lays down quite a bit, has anyone experienced this and is there a good outcome ? Should I consider trying to wait and see if he passes it or butcher before he is to bad even though he is small, The second visit from the vet he pumped him full of oil and more bullas lax, no fever , no bloating (yet), its been two days, vet said his stomach is working but gloved up and checked said he felt as if there was an obstruction in the intestine, no stool out towards the anus? :cry:

So he is not passing any fecal matter at all ?
Also what pain med did your vet give as there is a withdrawal time.

No he is not passing any fecal, first day he passed a tiny I mean small hard fecal , second day when vet checked anally he had some blood on his sleeve when he pulled it out no stool though.Don't know what pain med vet used, I was gone and husband was with him!

If they don't "poop" they will die . I don't know what to say, there are many things you can try ;but you had a vet out; did they suggest surgery at all?

Last resort drench him with at least 2 litres of oil and walk that bugger around until you see oil in his stool. Sometimes this can be a 20 hour job but we have saved a couple of really good animals this way under a vets advice.(twisted bowel)

If your vet had not given any meds I would tel you to butcher him asap because a complete blockage is a downhill battle .
Sorry cannot help, good luck with him.

Have you checked that he is peeing?

Standing with his legs stretched out the back of him is a standard sign of urinary calculi blockage . . . if he cant pee he wont eat therefore no faeces.

Just another thought.

Good luck with him. Check the withdrawal on what your vet gave him. You may be able to salvage slaughter.

He drinks and pees but does not eat, gave him some sugar water last night I guess just have to see what day 3 looks like :cry:

Call the vet and find out what was given and the withdrawal times. If the time is days, go ahead and put him down.

Is he running a fever? If so, you don't want to eat him.

Poor guy. He must be in terrible pain :(

Day 3 he is up and standing more oil and some poop came out don't know if its totally better, eating a little keeping my hopes up, he seems a bit better today!

Latest posts