Help-AI Trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

SteppedInIt

Reaction score
I have 6 year old cow that has never been AI'ed only natural service. She knew something was up while I was getting ready. Tried calming her down before I started which kinda helped. Left hand goes in her rectum and she aint liking it. Starts shytin and moving her tale to the point I couldn't keep it to the side. Her rectum felt like wadded up rags and I couldn't feel anything else. I tried smoothing it forward which did help but it would just wad up again. I am sure I will have to try her again because after a while of getting nowhere, I just deposited the load at her cervix. This was a totally different experience than the other two I have AI'ed. Any advice for the next time?

Couple of things may help, if you can have someone hold the tale so your not concentrating on her tale hitting you in the face. I always have the cervix in my hand before I insert the rod so I can let her finish crapping or clean her out some, I don't like to waste time doing that but sometimes its nesessary for me, once thats done it changes the feel in there.

bse":x452n4xj said:
Couple of things may help, if you can have someone hold the tale so your not concentrating on her tale hitting you in the face. I always have the cervix in my hand before I insert the rod so I can let her finish crapping or clean her out some, I don't like to waste time doing that but sometimes its nesessary for me, once thats done it changes the feel in there.
Except for the tail I do the smae thing.

Try standing back and waiting a few minutes. Once she takes a shyt you have a whole new cow to work with. And DON'T worry about how long you stand there to wait. Do it when she settles down. Putting semen in the right spot will get more cows pregnant than timing or technique will.

cow pollinater":2ovujqyc said:
Try standing back and waiting a few minutes. Once she takes a shyt you have a whole new cow to work with. And DON'T worry about how long you stand there to wait. Do it when she settles down. Putting semen in the right spot will get more cows pregnant than timing or technique will.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Thanks for the replies. I think I need to adjust my thinking a little. My concern has been taking too long after the semen has thawed.

Reminds me, I was already frustrated with the AI sleeve/gloves sticking together where I couldn't get my fingers in. One I couldn't even open to put my arm in. Was a pain. Went through three gloves before I could get my hand and arm in. These are the continental brand blue gloves. They have stayed in the truck and I guess the heat got to em??? Now I kind of feel like a dipsh*t, it was probably the dang glove giving me trouble. :bang: :hide:

SteppedInIt":26aj3vg0 said:
Thanks for the replies. I think I need to adjust my thinking a little. My concern has been taking too long after the semen has thawed.

Reminds me, I was already frustrated with the AI sleeve/gloves sticking together where I couldn't get my fingers in. One I couldn't even open to put my arm in. Was a pain. Went through three gloves before I could get my hand and arm in. These are the continental brand blue gloves. They have stayed in the truck and I guess the heat got to em??? Now I kind of feel like a dipsh*t, it was probably the dang glove giving me trouble. :bang: :hide:
What I do is open the top of the glove and trap some air in it then close off the top and squeeze the glove to fill the fingers with air. Then I dust a little talcum in the glove so my sweaty arm doesn;t stick to the inside of the glove. Makes things a whole lot easier.

dun":1frn7m7v said:
SteppedInIt":1frn7m7v said:

What I do is open the top of the glove and trap some air in it then close off the top and squeeze the glove to fill the fingers with air. Then I dust a little talcum in the glove so my sweaty arm doesn;t stick to the inside of the glove. Makes things a whole lot easier.

I did this but couldn't get the fingers to open. Even tried blowing it up. I definitely need to get the talcum. Thanks

SteppedInIt":3lyg6z6f said:
dun":3lyg6z6f said:
SteppedInIt":3lyg6z6f said:

I did this but couldn't get the fingers to open. Even tried blowing it up. I definitely need to get the talcum. Thanks

I've never AI'd before but Is the brand glove you're using the only one out there? If not try another brand. Talc sounds like a good way to go. Smells good too. :lol:

My last box of blue super sensitive continentals were a pain, too. Fwiw...that box was pretty old. I tried a box of the clear continentals...I use those to stuff trash in when I'm done.

You could have a short piece of rope tied to the side of the chute to tie her tail with. Just don't forget to untie it before you let her out! When I have one being difficult and throwing lots of rings, I just thread through them until I can get at least half of my arm in, then pull back and find the cervix. Rings usually come in waves, so if you get past a batch of them you usually have a little time to work. Set a timer if you need to. I probably should have when I was just starting. 30 minutes can go by before you know it. Of course, some cows are going to be snotty about it every time...they just better be worth the trouble! We commercialled one of our registered cows a few days ago when we were setting them up. She would start swimming and going sideways the second she got in the chute...just got tired of messing with her. How we got 2 AI calves out of her, I have no idea.

I have one cow that I stuck as a heifer and haven't been able to do it since. Can never get to the cervix, doesn't matter what I try. Had another guy come and try her too and he couldn't either. She has become a bull breed candidate the rest of her life.

Latest posts