Hello

Help Support CattleToday:

biscuit35

Reaction score
Just found this sight while trying to get info on a variety of farming issues. First question is about the 80 acres we have leased out, they guy planted BEARDED wheat in our pasture, although he did harvest it, theres still alot of beards left, i'm thinking it's still not safe to turn my horses out on it, anyone have any opinions?
Second question is about "Texas Tuff' bermuda, has anyone in west texas had any luck with that or know of a better alternative?
By the way I have three registered QHs, two are mares which are in foal and due any day now :D I'm worried about the older mare, she was diagosed with EPM last fall, although we bought the very expensive meds. and I believe she is ok now, she seems to have lasting effects from it and is pooling urine, very comlicated story, but sure has me worried, anyone have experience with urine pooling in a pregnant mare?
Sorry about all the questions, this is a great sight!!!!

Hello biscuit, welcome to the board! I too have QH and Paints.

Can't answer your question your wheat or the grass questions, but he EPM horse part of your post. If the med was the the expensive med manufactured by Bayer I have a friend who used it on her mare a few years ago and the horse made a complete recovery.

What do you mean urine pooling? where is it pooling?

Alan

Hi Biscuit, welcome! I don't believe I would turn my horses out on that pasture. Even though the wheat has been harvested, a combine can leave anywhere from a small amount to a lot of wheat behind in the shelling out process. Horses are pretty good at picking up small grains out of the dirt, and it doesn't take a lot of whole wheat to kill a horse.

Also, wheat beards are not suitable for horses, they have little barbs on them that can cause problems and they can also pack between the lips and gums, like cheatgrass does.

I cannot help you with the bermuda, it does not grow in pastures up here.

Hi Alan
urine pooling is when their muscles are weak, maybe an effect of the EPM, basically the urine will back up inside of her and the it just streams out whenever it wants, kind of hard to explain, but very messy. i'm beginning to wonder now if this mare is even pregnant. She's old so of course she is getting sway backed and protruding backbone, but she still has a big belly, both my mares are now a week late, if they don't do something this week I'm going to call the vet out. We had such a bad experience two years ago i don't want to repeat it.
Oh by the way yes the medicine for the EPM was over $1,000.00!

biscuit35":2jab1m1l said:
Hi Alan
urine pooling is when their muscles are weak, maybe an effect of the EPM, basically the urine will back up inside of her and the it just streams out whenever it wants, kind of hard to explain, but very messy. i'm beginning to wonder now if this mare is even pregnant. She's old so of course she is getting sway backed and protruding backbone, but she still has a big belly, both my mares are now a week late, if they don't do something this week I'm going to call the vet out. We had such a bad experience two years ago i don't want to repeat it.
Oh by the way yes the medicine for the EPM was over $1,000.00!

Sounds like your'e on track with a sound plan. I'm not understanding the urine pooling issue.

Good luck let us know how it goes.
Alan

Latest posts