Height of a red angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

FFAgal

Reaction score
My daughter just finished showing her red angus heifer at our local fair this past weekend. She was in the running for top heifer, but didn't get grand or reserve. The judge told her that her heifer was too short for being 12 months old. The other animals were 4 to 6 months older than my daughters and really didn't appear to much taller. Can anyone give me an idea how tall a red angus is supposed to be at 12 months and how tall should be looking for when she picks out her next show heifer at weaning time?

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/ansc/publ ... escore.pdf

Take a look at the frame score. Some judges prefer bigger some smaller but if you shoot for a 6-7 frame they should be acceptable size to most judges. With british breeds you can probably get by with a little less frame than with continentals. When it comes to frame nothing is set in stone, I have seen judges pick 8-9 frames and some that pick 4-5 frames.

Thank you so much!! We are really new to showing and I was looking for something like this. I always found bits and pieces of info. Thanks again!!

Latest posts