heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

9 ER

Reaction score
If you perchase 20 heifers and put a bull with them for a month. How many of the heifers will calf on average? Would you get rid of the ones that didn't or give them another chance?

Assuming the heifers are breeding age and bull is good and mature I would expect all 20 to calve, but all in one month is asking too much.

Craig-TX

Why is a month not long enough? Shouldn't she have at least 2 cycles in that time?..... Of cource, it took 2 years for my wife. Probably should have sold her! lol Or, maybe it was the breeder. Who knows?

If any of the females had cycled shortly before you introduced the bull, they would only have one cycle within the 30 day period. Their next cycle would be shortly thereafter. Lots of people have different ideas on the best length of time to leave the bull in with the females, but 60 days seems to be a popular schedule.

o.k., if you kept a bull with them for 60 days, how many on average would calf and what would you do with the ones that did not calf?

100%, given that the bull is fertile and the girls are cycling. Those that are open grow wheels.

dun

Yikes cycle twice in one month :shock: . Keep the bull in 45 days at least. You also could plan to synchronize the hfrs if you want them really close. Hfrs should breed up good in that time period when they are healthy and upper middle fleshed and of breeding age. If they don't breed up they
are very fertile or have some sort of problem. A second year calving heifer I would be more apt to give a little more ley way with if she had a big calf. Young herself with calf on her and resources went into calf not into her breed up health.

Since I'm just a baby at this, I thought this picture was appropriate. I thought that I read where if 70 % of your cows calf each year that is avg. and 80 % was great. What yall are saying is that if the cows are taken care of like they should, then 100% should calf every year at least until they reach a certain age where they stop producing?

With that % that doesn't calve they should get wheels. Open cows are genrally just something pooping in the pasture and not doing their job. I don;t know how heretible the trait for fertility is, but 40 years ago I saw the reults in a succesfull dairy of a dairyman that selected for fertility and rarly had one cow out of 600 that didn't settle when bred for the first time each year.
Hard breeding cows generate more hard breeding cows, what's the point? After all, it's their job to settle and raise a calf, otherwise they're on welfare.

dun

I am waiting for the attacks on this post, but the AHA quotes a study done indepentantly that has Herefords with the highest conception rate in the high 90's.

greenwillowherefords":1o1i6upf said:
I am waiting for the attacks on this post, but the AHA quotes a study done indepentantly that has Herefords with the highest conception rate in the high 90's.

Does AHA stand for "All Honesty Aside"?

I'm just kiddin'!
I LIKE Herefords!

You're positive that wasn't "constipation" rate?

Really, I LIKE Herefords!

Latest posts