Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

tnmorcat

Reaction score
Kept two heifers and bought two heifers all born last year from February-April. Here are pictures of them.

black heifer closest to camera is the youngest heifer. The other black heifer that is trying to hide belongs to a friend.

This picture shows the black heifer is almost as big as the red heifer which is a month older and is out of a larger cow.

Thinking of putting them in with the lbw black angus bull in June. I think we will shoot for March calving and hope it will be neither too hot or too cold.

Hope they turn out to be good cows for you. Never can tell with Tennessee weather in March, but I'd say that would be a good month to calve them out.

the white ones are pretty tall girls!, they all look decent... Mine are probably about the size of the black or red one... hard to tell in a picture though... I release my bull May 25th usually, and get the first calf around the 8th of march, though our cows like to carry them a little longer than most people's.. usually around 288 days

Thanks for the complements. Bought the Charolais heifers from my neighbor who breeds them. They are older and defiantly taller than the other two. I have bought quite a few heifers which are now cows from the same guy. The red heifer is out of a Charolais x Pingauer cow that I bought from the same neighbor and sired by a red angus bull. The black heifer is out of a blue roan cow that was bred when I bought her from a different neighbor.I rather them calf when the weather is somewhat cooler. I think the cold weather slightly discourages the buzzards which we have to watch for.
This is a cow I bought from the same guy these heifers came from. I have had her since she was a heifer.

Blue cow mother to black heifer with this years calf

Charolais x Pinzgauer cow mother to red heifer with this years calf

Nice pictures! I hope you helped the little skunk tailed calf outta that predicament with the tree branch! Looks like he got himself high lined? Lol

:D Yeah--The Chars tend to look pretty leggy and tall at that age. They sure make good mommas here, and easy keepers for the most part. Only had one that went krazycow on us. Looks wet--bet you'll be glad to see winter finally gone and green grass everywhere.

Charolais, Pinzgaurs, Angus, and Red Angus--you have a goal of a composite or breed you are shooting for? (nothing wrong with a crossbred herd either)

Brangus, the calf was not hung up and had plenty of room between the two trees. I am pretty certain it was just born and this was it's first time standing. Just trying to get a feel for his legs. I was trying to keep a tree between me and the momma because she was giving me the eye.
Here is a more recent picture
5770b8bc1a6f0702b8e5fcaa0e933e4d_zpsdfd8647a.jpg

And here he is going to momma
16b1e173a97fb9e228b3e68c7e31c15a_zps84eec230.jpg

Grey beard, the cows are a hobby. I find the chars to be friendly. I guess I would say that The goal is to have good looking cows that have nice calves. I have to like the way they look. I am not trying to make some new composite Breed or anything just nice crossbreed calves. Only have ten cows but am adding the four heifers this year and at least one heifer that I bought from a friend will be added next year.

Latest posts