Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
I have two first calf heifers I am watching like a hawk. The first of three this season had to have her calf pulled. Mama and Frazier are doing well. My question...is there different signs with a heifer that she is getting close? I have the other two in the lot to keep a close eye, but frankly they don't look close at all and might as much as another month. I have read so many horror stories about heifers I am super paranoid! Did you see the Dr. Pol episode where he had to cut the calf out of the heifer? :shock: OMG

There are several signs that a heifer or cow is getting close to calving. Her udder will fill within a few days or hours of her giving birth. When a cow is going into labor, she will have her tail at a 90 degree angle and she will be extremely restless. She might pace along the fence line.

kucala5":2u5uk0al said:
I have two first calf heifers I am watching like a hawk. The first of three this season had to have her calf pulled. Mama and Frazier are doing well. My question...is there different signs with a heifer that she is getting close? I have the other two in the lot to keep a close eye, but frankly they don't look close at all and might as much as another month. I have read so many horror stories about heifers I am super paranoid! Did you see the Dr. Pol episode where he had to cut the calf out of the heifer? :shock: OMG

Heifers are always a crap shoot I usually wont deal with them last year broke my rule and bought five.
One lost a calf.

Heifer #2 calved between midnight and four am without any issues. We check every two hours except between midnight and four am! Apparently she did not want my company in the delivery room. One heifer to go, best looking calf we have raised out of a great mom, however, the vet check on her pelvis advised against keeping her. We did anyway, so we will see how that goes for us. Anybody else have them checked before deciding what heifers to keep as mamas?

kucala5":21m1aunf said:
Heifer #2 calved between midnight and four am without any issues. We check every two hours except between midnight and four am! Apparently she did not want my company in the delivery room. One heifer to go, best looking calf we have raised out of a great mom, however, the vet check on her pelvis advised against keeping her. We did anyway, so we will see how that goes for us. Anybody else have them checked before deciding what heifers to keep as mamas?
We do a pelvic measurement on all heifers meant for breeding. We also do a RTS at the same time, usually about a month prior to breeding season.

Heifers are tricky. Watch for her to kick at her stomach. The ole "Pump Handle Tail". Laying down for short periods then getting right back up. They will normally cover a lot of ground in the couple hours right before calving. B&G

Some heifers, and cows for that matter, look like they are about to bust for a couple of weeks. On some, the birth canal swells, then the udder, then the calf comes.

I have 4 cows, that show very little sign. Udder swells slightly and that's it. Next day the udder is huge and there is a calf on the ground.

I don't lost many. Smooth shoulder bull with medium to low birth weight. Worst thing on cows is a block shouldered bull.

Bonnie finally calved today! Pulled, but live bull calf on the ground. Meet Clyde.

Latest posts