Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

George

Reaction score
I would just like everyones opionion on my thinking?I can buy open heifers weighing in that 800 pound range for a $1000 or more,that is the going rate around here.I can put a bull with them,pay to pasture them all summer,hope all the heifers are in calf in the fall,and then make a loan payment on these heifers out of my own pocket.Or i can buy 1250lb heifers right now with a live calf at side for $1650,calves will be given all shots and castrated and delivered in may directly to the pasture,and use there calves to make the loan payment for me.How would you guys spend your money?I got some older cows that need replacing this fall after they wean there calves,and i didn't hold back enough of my own heifers last fall.The reason i want to do something this spring yet,is because i got a gut feeling bred heifers could be as high as $2000 this fall,if calf prices stay up where they are.

Personally I would go for the cows with calf at their side. That first calf can be a headache and at least you know these girls know how to have a live calf. The calf will more than pay the difference. If these cows are rebred make sure you know what sort of bull they are rebred to. jmh beginners opinion. Good luck. Jim

It would be even better if you could find some second calf cows . Calves from heifers should be weaned early . And tend to run a little small . But with 300 pound calves bringing 1.60 u may be ok .

I would definitly take the cows with calves on the side. With our weather down here we have had a difficult time getting heifers bred. We are also discovering some issues with some of the heifer that will not allow them to get bred. At least you know you have and can have calves.

Latest posts