Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

G&L Cattle

Reaction score
We wean our replacements at 5mos and put them with a good bull at 15mos. We now have some that are past due to calve if they bred at that time. Is this a problem? (I have my culling shoes on) How far past two years old should we allow?

Have a GOD Blessed Day!
G&L

Well, they should calve approx 9 months after the bull was pulled. Standard gestation length is 283 days (more or less!). When'd you separate them?

Could always have the vet come out and palpate them. I have everything palpated within the first trimester (usually 35-50 days) and then about 7 months just to make sure they're still carrying the calf. That way I'm not ever waiting until 9 months and then wondering where the calf is.

Even calving at 26 months isn;t too bad. But you need to know if they are even bred so have them preg checked. There are a number of herds around here that had dry spells in the middle of they're calving seasons. We had exceptionally high temps last summer for about 3 weeks and the dry spell corresponds pretty well to that.

dun

G&L Cattle":3qye63w0 said:
We now have some that are past due to calve if they bred at that time. Is this a problem? G&L

I'm thinking whether it's a problem or not depends on you, your operation, expectations, and plans for these calves. We had major problems keeping the bull home last summer (3rd time out he was shipped) but, because of that, we're pretty much calving year round this year - the majority of the herd calved Feb-Mar, we just finished with 7 moderately late calvers (last one was last Friday), and we have 2 more that won't calve until August or possibly later. If these were my heifers, and I really liked them, I think I would put the bull back out. Any that didn't settle on this go-round would then be culled.

G&L Cattle":1b7jogkd said:
We wean our replacements at 5mos and put them with a good bull at 15mos. We now have some that are past due to calve if they bred at that time. Is this a problem? (I have my culling shoes on) How far past two years old should we allow?

Have a GOD Blessed Day!
G&L

Well it works like this with me.

If they are bred they will calve.

If they are not bred they will have to be bred again - then you have to wait another +/- 9 months.

Good bull? Was he semen tested? How was the percentage of "good stuff", motility, etc?

I may have more to say if you answer the above questions.

The way I look at it I might just toss the opens if I figure I have to wait another season. Why pay to feed something that is freeloading?

It never hurts to have a little extra cash laying around.

How over due? A week, or two months?

If they were exposed to this good bull and did not catch - I am not so sure I would want to give them a second chance. I like them to catch first time around - and they tend to stay in the herd and that promotes a fertile cow herd.

It is not so much a matter of "are they good animals that might catch the second time around".

It is a matter of pure economics. What is the feed cost, the yardage, the potential veterinarian care cost (always that chance), machinery costs and so on?

If you are in it to make money you will base your decisions on finances using your brain.

If you are in it for a hobby you might make the decision based on sentimental values using your heart.

Up to you - but I am a finance and brain calculator - errrrr .....

At least most of the time! :oops:

In closing - have to ask again - Is that bull really up to snuff? Hard to blame the cows without knowing the whole story.

Bez!

Hope this is enough on topic ~ we bought 2 limo heifers in Dec., were told they'd calf the end of April. Still no calves. I think they are bred, they are sloooowly bagging. Vet said he would come out middle of June to check, may be a problem.

G&L Cattle":97cmuuot said:
So, I suppose that its not abormal for heifers not to breed at 15mos????

thanks for your comments!
G&L

Not abnormal? well...let's rephrase that. It is normal for a normal heifer to breed at 15 months and calve at 24 months.

If yours aren't doing that then there's a problem.

Alot depends on the size of the heifer, the condition she is in. I say the bigger and healthier the heifer, the more likely they will get bred at say 16-18 months of age. Every heifer is different. I would get them preg checked and go from there.

Gail