Heifers in heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Sarria

Reaction score
Heifers in heat what do you look for? I have a 19 month old heifer and I cant seem to no when she comes in to heat do they try to ride the other cow like the cow do or? My heifer goes to the fence and moo,s all day at my neighbors cow and let one of the cows bump her but dose not ride her what do you look for in a heifer? :?:

if you have more than one heifer they will normally try to mount each other when one is in heat...if you only have one, you have a problem. you can look for a temperature rise when she is in heat, but that akes a lot of rear end time on the heifer.... :)

Are the days she stands at the fence mooing the same ones that the others will spend hanging around her? If it happens regualry, every x number of days, she's most likely in heat then. How are you planning on breeding her?

dun

I'm going to AI her yes I only have one 18 month old heifer and her sister was born may 10th of this year. my other 3 cow are don I AI them but the heifer I cant tall? She only gos and moo's about one time a month or so to the fence and the niegbers cows are there with her.

I've come across heifers I never could tell when they were in heat, but they got bred. If you don't have a bull or a steer available, it may be very hard to tell.

I've had heifers (one just this past summer) that didn't do the riding thing...but instead bellored their fool heads off and acted kind of agitated. The one from this past summer, I turned with the bull & sure enough...she was in heat. You may want to try breeding her the next time she displays that behavior.