Heifers did not calf this season - Keep or Sell???

Help Support CattleToday:

TNcowman

Reaction score
This past year I had a seasoned bull together with my 15 cows and 6 heifers for a little over 3 months. All 15 cows and 4 heifers calved OK. Two (2) of the heifers did not have a calf. Should I give these 2 good looking Angus heifers another try this season with a different bull or sell them later this summer when I sell off this seasons calves?

To me it would be a personal decision/choice. We haven't bred any cows yet as we are just getting started, but we do breed boer goats and we're culling a doe this year after missing two years. That's my limit. If you're not going to produce, I'm not going to have a lawn ornament, I already have two horses for those positions.

Have your vet do a pelvic exam (should have been done at one year of age) and he can tell you more than we can guess at and then you'll have a better idea of what to do.

just my .02

Sometimes a seasoned bull is just too much weight for a heifer to be able to hold up.
If the heifers are really small that might be the case. How old are these heifers?
Did you ever notice them coming in and did you see him mount either of them?
Chuckie