heifer with stiff back legs when gets up

Help Support CattleToday:

rockinw

Reaction score
I have a heifer that was born 12/27/16, 83#, unassisted. She's a MAB. She's having issues with her back legs. She gets up fine, takes a couple of steps then goes into a peg leg mode. When she stands she stretches her back legs and seems like her legs don't want to work together. She's always been a little off so to say. Has her tognue sticking out alot. She eats good and is a good size calf.
We've given her bo-se at birth, then did mu-se 1xweek for 2 weeks. We are not selinum deficient.
Any suggestions as to what may be causing this? Could it be a pinched nerve or neurologic?

Hard to tell without a video or more description...

The calf in the video link actually has some sort of injury on the right hind. If you look closely, you will notice that it is not bearing any weight on the right hind....The weight is carried by the left hind, that's why she's hoping around.

Had one the same way. Ended up shooting him. As he got bigger it got harder for him to get up. I had hoped I could put him in the barn lot and fatten him since he wouldn't have to walk much, but it wasn't going to happen.

Latest posts