Heifer with Lopsided Udder

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm

Reaction score
I have a crossbred first-calf heifer that calved Saturday. Her udder filled out quite huge on the right side and is a lot smaller on the left. The right front quarter is definitely the largest and it is very misshapen, like a snoopy nose. I have observed the calf nursing both front quarters and the heifer stands for it after only minor protest. He tends to prefer the snoopy nose quarter but is vigorous and nursing with plenty of gusto. He seems satisfied and lays down afterwards for a nap. There is not an abnormal amount of redness visible to make me think of mastitis. Will her udder level itself out or is this the way it will always be?

It could still come in. Some heifers take a couple of days. But with the misshaped teat, she could have some damage with scar tissue to her udder. I had a young heifer get mastitis long before she was ever bred. I treated it and she recovered with scar tissue left behind. The teat no longer functioned. She has had many calves now, and raised them just fine on 3 teats.
If no improvement in a day or two, I would get her in and check for any hardness or warmth. I would check what you can milk out also, and take a look at it for puss. The vets have a test kit to check for mastitis, I believe.
Good luck!

If she's got mastitis u won't need a test kit. You will b able to see it and smell it when u milk her.

LauraleesFarm":1l4sdcfs said:
I have a crossbred first-calf heifer that calved Saturday. Her udder filled out quite huge on the right side and is a lot smaller on the left. The right front quarter is definitely the largest and it is very misshapen, like a snoopy nose. I have observed the calf nursing both front quarters and the heifer stands for it after only minor protest. He tends to prefer the snoopy nose quarter but is vigorous and nursing with plenty of gusto. He seems satisfied and lays down afterwards for a nap. There is not an abnormal amount of redness visible to make me think of mastitis. Will her udder level itself out or is this the way it will always be?

If the calf is happy leave it be for now.

Personally I sell those lopsided bagged up cattle once we get weaning done.

In the future you will likely end up having one, two or three tits giving you nothing if she does not even out soon - within the next three to five days.

Over sized tits will start to sag and be too big to suck on by the next calves coming.

Sell that beach and get something that is working on all four and has no health probs.

Or - live with it and wonder every year - will she milk out? And - will that calf be able to latch on to that bottle tit.

Cows are a commodity - find the right time to replace her and you might even come out a few dollars ahead.

Best to you

Bez

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

Bez, its not a bottle teat. The teat is normal. The quarter itself is like snoopy's muzzle hanging down, and the teat would be snoopy's nose. Best way I can describe it.

The other 3 quarters and teats appear "normal" size for a first calf heifer. But still somewhat ugly, poorly attached.

I will try to post a picture but the ones I got do not really show how lopsided it really is.

It looks like she has good milk production, just a poor udder structure. I had a first calver last year with a udder that was weak in the front, but she raised a good calf and kept up with my full grown cows. I had another with extra teats and a weird shaped udder, but she raised a good bull calf so I don't worry. I think if her udder bothers you enough to sell her, do it. But if you keep her I probably wouldn't keep any replacements from her. It is your call, though.
Poor front udder attachment. Still raised a good calf. This is her after being nursed out.
iphone0042_zpsa5d44db8.jpg

Laural, hopefully she will raise the calf, then I'd get rid of her. Looks like she might have some mastitis but also just very poor udder.

Latest posts