Heifer w/ bump on face

Help Support CattleToday:

CWT Angus

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 2 1/2 year old registered Angus heifer that is due in Feb. I noticed yesterday she has a lump about the size of half a golf ball (or a bit smaller) on the side of her face about 3 inches below her eye. It just came up in the last couple of days. I thought maybe it could be a tooth problem, but I ran her in today to get a better look, it is fairly hard & seems to move with the skin feely. No leisons that would make me think she got poked with anything. Not sore at all. Other than that she seems fine. Any ideas? I'm thinking I'll need to have the vet out in the next couple days.

CWT Angus":1jtt7g5c said:
Hi All,

I have a 2 1/2 year old registered Angus heifer that is due in Feb. I noticed yesterday she has a lump about the size of half a golf ball (or a bit smaller) on the side of her face about 3 inches below her eye. It just came up in the last couple of days. I thought maybe it could be a tooth problem, but I ran her in today to get a better look, it is fairly hard & seems to move with the skin feely. No leisons that would make me think she got poked with anything. Not sore at all. Other than that she seems fine. Any ideas? I'm thinking I'll need to have the vet out in the next couple days.
Maybe a chaw of tobacky.

CWT Angus":161k0y7q said:
Hi All,
Im a strong believer in calling a vet but i would save the money and take a heavy gauge needle and insert it under the knot then sqeeze see what comes out it will drain for a few days or she will absorb it.could still be a tooth root absess need to give her some antibiotics

I agree with draining the absess, and see what you get. IMO if it is not stationary then I'd rule out a tooth. Any other symptoms? Any fever? Sore to the touch?

BLV. The tumors manifest themselves in lymphoma tissue around the eyes.

No other symptoms. She doesn't mind at all that I check it out- I also took her temp & it was fine. I'll drain it tomorrow & go from there.
Thanks everyone for your opinions

Antibiotic would still be a good idea. Sometimes you may not know what or why things happen.