heifer udder development

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
At what point does an Angus heifer bred at 15 months typically start to have noticeable udder development. Will it be fully developed shortly before giving birth?

some heifers start making their baggs at 7.5 months bred an bagg/spring for 6 weeks or more or less.

herofan":2ww5h7pq said:
At what point does an Angus heifer bred at 15 months typically start to have noticeable udder development. Will it be fully developed shortly before giving birth?
I've got some Baldies that are devoloPing at 1 year. They look like I excpect them to at this age. I wish they looked bigger but I think they look "right" for what I know. Milking value is next I suppose!?!? :)

It varies. Most of ours develop most noticeably with 30-60 days til calving, but we've had some start at 6 months bred and others wait until the day OF calving.

herofan":320h35p0 said:

This is really a guessing game with heifers. I've seen heifers bag up months before calving, and some not bag up at all while calving. They're much more predictable as 2nd calf cows. Normally they should be fully developed before birth, but the problem is heifers seem to defy "normal".... :)

Good question (and responses)! I have hereford and Angus bred to our polled hereferd bull. The hereford cows are bagging while the angus have not yet. Good to know that others have similar experiences.

Latest posts