Heifer question

Help Support CattleToday:

no, the repro tract is not fully developed. it may be a false heat. i dunno sounds weird. :?: i think the bull will penetrate anything that stands for him. still weird

Thanks, The reason I ask is because I have two Beefmaster heifers about 18 months old who show no signs of heat , also my Beefmaster bull (13 months old) shows no interest in them. I think the bull is OK because he has mounted other heifers. These two heifers are some what Fat but I don't think that will stop them from going into heat. Got them private treaty and owner said nothing about twins ect. Going to wait longer and if nothing happens, they go for a ride. ( My loss)

cowboyup216":pu6o655n said:
Have you had them palpated to see if they are pregnant? That could be why they arent in heat. Could have possibly gotten bred to early.
They do look like they are heavy bred... but they have never been with a bull. I just put the bull with them about three months ago. I saw him smell one but he did not do the lip thing. No interest at all. Guess time will tell.

Outrigger2":2ubpg6km said:
no, the repro tract is not fully developed. it may be a false heat. i dunno sounds weird. :?: i think the bull will penetrate anything that stands for him. still weird

Correct, almost. Freemartinism can range all the way from a vestule penis, pretty obvious, to not having adequate hormones to maintain a pregnancy. There isn;t alwasy anything cut and dried that's obvious as to a freemartin or not. If she carrys a pregnancy she isn;t, if she doesn;t have a vagina/utuerus/ovarys, etc. she is, along with the obvious
vestule penis.
There are still only 2 ways to know for sure. Breed her and if she calves or have a DNA blood test done on her as a calf.

ROCKSPRINGS":fmm55xaf said:
Thanks, The reason I ask is because I have two Beefmaster heifers about 18 months old who show no signs of heat , also my Beefmaster bull (13 months old) shows no interest in them.

I must have had a bunch of immaculate conceptions this year based on the lack of visual sings (to me) and the bull not mounting them.
Unless you have a mount detector or watch every one of them 24/7 there isn;t any way to know if the bull is doing his job or the heifers cycling. Not until calves start hitting the ground anyway.
As was recommended, have them palpated.

A bull will mount anything that stands, maybe even a pickup if you leave it parked long enough.

dun":1a5pxq1h said:
ROCKSPRINGS":1a5pxq1h said:
Thanks, The reason I ask is because I have two Beefmaster heifers about 18 months old who show no signs of heat , also my Beefmaster bull (13 months old) shows no interest in them.

I must have had a bunch of immaculate conceptions this year based on the lack of visual sings (to me) and the bull not mounting them.
Unless you have a mount detector or watch every one of them 24/7 there isn;t any way to know if the bull is doing his job or the heifers cycling. Not until calves start hitting the ground anyway.

A bull will mount anything that stands, maybe even a pickup if you leave it parked long enough.
I hope that is what is going on ( the midnight dates ) when I am not watching.

ROCKSPRINGS":30oekham said:
dun":30oekham said:
ROCKSPRINGS":30oekham said:

I hope that is what is going on ( the midnight dates )

Best way to tell is to have them palpated, especially if they've been in with bull for a couple of months

ROCKSPRINGS":78h9fwrs said:
cowboyup216":78h9fwrs said:
Have you had them palpated to see if they are pregnant? That could be why they arent in heat. Could have possibly gotten bred to early.
... but they have never been with a bull.

Never say never when it comes to bulls, they can be sneaky critters! There is also the possibility that the previous owner had some bulls go 'visiting', and didn't think anything happened, or simply didn't know about it. I think I would have them preg checked.

Latest posts