Heifer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi I have a Jersey, Holstien, Shorthorn Heifer that is 14 months old due to Calve in April. I was planning to use her for a milk cow, but now I'm starting to rethink that idea. Back story on her, I bought her as a bottle calf she was 2&1/2 months old and still on the bottle, but when I got her home it took 2 people to hold her for about the first week to get her to stand still enough to take the bottle, she was Terrified of people, especially men, she must have been sedated when I got her. She had open sores on her back, she ended up taming down to where I could do anything with her, but after not being handled for the last 6 months she won't let me touch her, she doesn't act crazy just doesn't want me to touch her, or get close to her, should I give her grain every day and hope she tames down? Or ship her. I was back at the farm where I got her from a couple of months after I bought her, to get a couple of lambs and the Same boy who was in charge of this heifer (before I bought her) was in charge of the lambs and he was kicking them and whipping them with a stick, for no apparent reason. So I think this heifer was probably abused as a calf..

She is a early cycling heifer she went through a gate and got bred at 7 months old, thankfully she didn't take the First time....

I know one thing.
If you dont do anything, its liable to be a wreck. I think I'd start working with her carefully starting yesterday.

My bottle heifer is breeding age now. 15plus months.
I'm confident she will let me help when/if the time comes. Shes just always such a sweetheart. But I'm all she knew forever it seems.

Breeding heifers that young greatly reduces their longevity in a cow herd.
Pen your future milk cow up. Start feeding her in your stantion with a halter on.
It might take a bit but she will come to decide that the stantion means time to eat.
Determination will get you to your goal

We usually keep our cow's till they're 12. So I'm happy with their longevity. Maybe I have been lucky,so far. Not everyone does their cows the same way. Thank you for the advice on the heifer!

Well she is letting me brush and pet her while she is eating her grain, she's fast remembering that she was once a pet lol

Latest posts