heifer prolapse issue.

Help Support CattleToday:

TXMike

Reaction score
My last heifer calved yesterday and everything went smoothly. All my heifers were problem free, I went out last night and she was buried off in the woods with her calve and when I went out this morning she was gone but the calf was there so I carried him to the pasture and got him to bawl so she would come to the pasture and then I closed the gate to keep them in and not have to worry about them. Well I went out there today and she has some sort of reddish purple blob hanging out of her..... Ive never seen any kind of prolapse in person before so im not to sure what it is. I talked to my buddy and he said it sounded like the placenta hanging out of her but when I sent him some pictures he said he didn't know what part it was but it looked like part of her. Well I tried to get her to come into the pens and all she did was bury off in the woods again. I am wanting to take her to the vet in the morning but I don't know if im going to be able to catch her. She has always been an easy keeper and with a bucket of feed you could put her anywhere you want but now she doesn't care about anything but nobody getting next to her calf. Im trying to get some pictures uploaded. The one other thing that I guess is throwing me off is none of the picture on the internet look like what she has.

20140622_195109.jpg

20140622_195139.jpg

20140622_195047.jpg

20140622_195133.jpg

man im gonna try to resize these and get em bigger.

I cant see it well enough to tell. You may have to catch up the calf, while its laying down is easiest, and bring it up to the corral with her in pursuit. Do you have a 4wheeler?

It appears to be afterbirth from the small pictures. But I suppose it cvould be a vaginal prolapse.

Hard to tell from your pictures but looks like afterbirth to me. Is there some strings hanging down to the ground. Looks that way. If so it is afterbirth.

9933a2cb-58c8-4460-bc6f-002619e49207.jpg

there we go! man its suprising how hard It is to resize a picture.
yea there is a string hanging to the ground. should I just leave it alone for now?

Afterbirth. Tie that long part back up to itself about hock high so it isn;t dragging the ground

man I really appreciate all the fast responses. I was so nervous.... I told my wife on the way home that I was glad wed made it through all the heifers without a single issue because I was nervous about one prolapsing. When I came home and saw this all I thought was that's what I get for opening my big fat mouth.....
So this should fall out on its own over time? I don't know that shes gonna let me get up behind her to tie it off the way shes acting right now. maybe in a couple days the newness of the calf will wear off and shell be a little less overprotective.

I went out there this morning and she was grazing. The afterbirth was still there but it had shrunk significantly. She didn't have her calf with her though so I'm guessing he's still off in the woods somewhere.

Latest posts